on 6 April 2009
The reviews on here are pretty old, but I've just bought this book and they're still completely relevant. The rhymes and index is well put together and easy to cross reference.

I've been using this to put together rhyming poetry and at first I was using it as a handy tool, now it's a staple whenever I'm feeling poetic. Fortunately it's small(ish) and lightweight, but unfortunately it's always accompanied by a dictionary and thesaurus because the rhymes are so comprehensive I have to look up what half of the words mean!

Anyway, I'd recommend this rhyming dictionary to all poets, songwriters, spell writers, and anyone else in need of a little rhyme.
on 10 May 2017
Love this book. It's a great way to learn how many words can rhyme with other words. Definitely recommend it
on 4 April 2017
Worth the money, very informative as a reference book.
on 1 May 2017
Not as good quality as expected
on 30 April 2017
Just what I needed at a competitive price. Delivered on time
on 2 March 2017
Very cheap so no great loss but very brown and musty
VINE VOICEon 2 January 2010
This is an absolute must for anyone who writes poetry. I wish I had discovered it years ago. It would have made life a lot easier. I am amazed at the number of words that are identified for each rhyme. Some not even in my huge dictionary. Being a word geek, I also love just looking through at the rhyming words as well as using this for poetry writing.
on 28 February 2001
The Penguin Rhyming Dictionary by Rosalind Fergusson is easy to use. To find the rhymes for any particular word, first look in the index, which forms roughly the second half of the book. The index will refer you either to a group number (e.g. 15) or a subgroup number (e.g. 15.3) in the first part of the book. And that's it, - rhyme along! The book contains lists of rhymes for well over 40000 words, and even offer explanations of the unusual ones. For instance: I was desperately looking for a rhyme for the word disequilibrium, and yes, here it was: Perionychium, explained as skin surrounding fingernail. I'll find a way to make use of this in a song, sooner or later. But, of course, there are several more relevant words for songwriters: 11 rhymes for love, - even Baal Shem Tov (Jewish religious leader!). I don't regret I also ordered a copy for a friend.
on 7 August 2012
I have both the Penguin Rhyming Dictionary and the Complete Rhyming Dictionary and they're each useful in their own way.

The strengths of the Penguin Rhyming Dictionary are:
If you know the word you want to rhyme, you look up that word in the index then find the section containing rhymes for that word;
The rhyme lists are large and relatively comprehensive.

The weaknesses of the Penguin Rhyming Dictionary are:
There appears to be no obvious organisation of the rhyming section. Rhymes are not organised so that all rhymes beginning -A, -E, -I are in order, and masculine and feminine rhymes are all jumbled up together. This means that it is difficult to use the rhyming section without first referring to the index. If you only have a couple of words to look up that's OK, but if you're looking for a large number of rhymes (or are looking for family rhymes) this quickly becomes time-consuming and, ultimately, tiresome.

There is the occasional pointlessly expanded list of compound words. -ity being a case in point. It would take far less paper and be clearer to make a note for words ending in -ual, -ial, -il that -ity can be appended where appropriate. Anyone who's using a rhyming dictionary is probably smart enough to know that you can append -ity to 'eventual' and 'trivial'.

The paperback version of the book has a tendency to fall to pieces: I've had mine for 6 weeks now and the first pages are already falling out.

The strengths of the Complete Rhyming Dictionary are:
The rhyming section of the dictionary are split into masculine rhymes and feminine rhymes and organised by phonetic sound within each section. This makes it easier to find rhymes by scanning the rhyming section, and to find family rhymes.

There aren't as many pointlessly expanded lists of words - words tend to be reduced to a basic stub with a note that they can be expanded using various suffixes.

The weaknesses of the Complete Rhyming Dictionary are:
There is no word index. If you don't know how find the phonetic sound you want you're scuppered. Personally I didn't find this much of a problem - it took me about 5 minutes to learn the sounds specified in the index and begin using the dictionary in anger - but this might not be the case for other people.

It's an American book. Although I didn't have any trouble finding "Fire" (it's in the same list as Aspire, Rewire and other words rhyming -'R) there are pronunciation differences between British and American English to do with which syllables are stressed in multi-syllable words: You say adúlt, we say ádult, you say díctate, we say dictáte. This occasionally causes a word the British would put in the masculine rhyme section under one heading (dictáte, under -ate) to occur in the feminine rhyme section under another heading (díctate under -ict). Personally I think this is just a slight annoyance (compared with the endless index-related fiddling of the Penguin Dictionary) and I cross-check with the Penguin dictionary to make sure I'm not missing anything. Others might find it more of an irritation.
on 21 December 2010
This book is great. I recently went on a creative writing workshop including poetry and I have always struggled finding sensible words, in plain English, that rhyme. This book solves the problem. Its easy to use and my tutor was quite impressed when I turned up in class with it saying it is one of the best on the market.