Customer reviews

Father Christmas Goes on Holiday (Picture Puffin)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 April 2017
Very nostalgic book for me from my childhood which I've handed down to my two children. Most of it is in French be warned but still a great adventure. Book arrived promptly so great service as well.
on 9 January 2013
I pretended that this book was to share with my grandsons. I lied. It was for me. The pictures and corresponding speech/thought bubbles are a joy. I also ordered Father Christmas by Raymond Briggs. I'd had owned this book in the past, but can't find it now. It doesn't have to be Christmas to read these books.
on 14 November 2005
If you liked the original, you'll like this as well, more of the same, lots of pictures for the little ones to examine, and interesting for them to imagine Father Christmas out of his normal context of snow and sleighs, and in the sunshine instead.
These are relatively slim books, but dont let that put you off, there is lots of detail in the pictures and the story that you can bring out with your imagination and the childs. But because of that I'd recommend buying both together if you dont already have the original.
on 30 August 2017
Excellent item thank you
on 24 December 2016
Classic book..good bedtime read.
on 16 March 2017
I bought this for a young child and I don't like the cartoon captions.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 September 2012
My five-year-old daughter is requesting I read this story to her, and its prequel "Father Christmas", every night now.

It's a BD-style comic-strip book, like the "Asterix" books. Father Christmas is reinvented as a grumpy old man who lives somewhere up north, apparently in the manner of a man from the north of England several decades ago, and he is greatly looking forward to his summer holidays. He turns his sleigh into a flying motorhome, and goes exploring. First to France, then to Scotland, and finally to Las Vegas. (Which means I have to put on French, Scottish and American accents while reading it out loud!) Things don't always turn out as he planned, and his dignity is frequently upset, but he comes home again, much refreshed.

The illustrations are wonderful, and we find new details in the pictures every time. My daughter is now starting to echo some of the dialogue, particularly "Food! Wine! Sun!" And she's now very interested in learning French!
on 13 December 2002
Father Christmas Goes on Holdiay is really funny and enjoyable for kids and parents. When I read it to my 5 year old daughter I thought that it might be too sophisticated for her but she loved it, as did my 7 year old son. Raymond Briggs does not 'talk down' to his audience and includes information that many young children would not know about (ie there is some dialogue in French but although my kids don't know any French this did not in any way make the book less enjoyable). We already have Father Christmas by Briggs and we found Father Christmas goes on Holiday just as entertaining and engaging. If you like Raymond Briggs irreverant sense of humour you'll like this book.
on 19 February 2013
A brilliant story. Bought this to replaces our original version that fell apart due to being read so many times. My 4 year old loves it. He particulary likes how grumpy Father Christmas is
on 7 January 2010
This book continues the charm and grumpiness of the first Father Christmas. My children loved it and so do my Grandchildren