Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Learn more

Customer reviews

on 9 August 2017
This is a very accessible translation of the great epic of Ireland. The Táin is the Irish equivalent of the Iliad or the Odyssey (although in my opinion it is vastly superior), and here it is presented by Carson in accessible modern English, without losing the feel of the original. For those who aren't used to Irish names, there is a guide to pronunciation in the front of the book.
on 29 January 2018
Really looking forward to emersing myself in ancient Irish myth,one of the Hound of Ulster's epics.the language is archaic as it should be having been directly translated from the ancient text,yes as such it will take a bit of reading but the poetry of that ancient form will be integral to the whole experience,it's gonna be ace!
on 19 February 2017
loved it
on 2 December 2017
Good quality fast delivery
on 8 March 2015
Cuchulainn rules!
on 17 August 2013
Well researched, this book has good solid historical information unlike many books on the Celtic sagas which are rather nonsensical because their authors cannot be bothered to try to work out the relationships etc... and simply tip them all in in a mish mash because they can't make head or tail of them. This book makes sense and tell a good solid tale without whimsical stuff detracting from the tale. Recommend this book to the person who actually wants to know historical fact and not read just a fairy story.
on 16 December 2013
this is a very good book for a good read if youre into irish mythology etc, well worth a read
on 26 July 2017
Epic tale from some of the oldest documents written in Irish. A story up there with Beowulf, Odysseus, and the Norse sagas.
VINE VOICEon 19 June 2008
As this is the only translation I've read of this tale, I may not be best placed to write a review.

I found this book fairly easy to read, especially in comparison to the texts that are available online. The endnotes were especially helpful, though I am not sure if some matters were left out as there were references to, say, the history of the bulls themselves, but nowhere in the book was this history related. Perhaps I missed it? I would also have appreciated a pronuncation guide to the names when listed in the endnotes. As I am not an Irish speaker, this would have been invaluable.

I did have some difficulty with the poetry[?] sections, as I could not make sense of them, but I imagine this is because of the difficulty in translating from Irish, with its propensity for double meanings.

Overall, a good introduction to the Táin Bó Cúailnge.
on 6 January 2012
Celtic folk lore has become popular in recent years, with many fantasy writers borrowing elements with varying degrees of success. Well, this is the real thing, and it is great! Carson's translation opens up a new world to us, a world of heroic acts, magic and riddles, and - above all - a world that feels very different from our own. This is a book to immerse yourself in, so that you begin to feel some of the values that our ancestors had.

In passing, I was fascinated to see what a prominent role some women played in these physical times. That is an area I now want to discover more about, as it challenges some of my assumptions about the past.