on 21 September 2016
What I like about this book:

Very well documented, scientific work.
Deep dive into the thinking of Stoicism and Marcus Aurelius.
The book shows us parallels between the roots of our Western Culture and Buddhism.
With some chewing the book is stuffed with great insights and quotes.

What could have been better:

Lacks consistency in the use of words, labels, ... which creates unnecessary confusion while reading.
The message of the book could have been made more easy with the same effect
on 27 October 2010
Marcus Aurelius was a Roman Emperor, a successful campaigning General, and a father, and yet he had the intellectual ability and time to create for his own moral exercise as a guide to living perhaps the most profound and wide ranging work of ‘Stoic’ influenced philosophy ever written. More remarkable is that it survived, as it was never intended for publication.

In this Penguin Classics edition of 2006, Martin Hammond has given us a fresh new translation from the original Greek, and added copious and detailed notes to help us understand better the texts. There are also three indices; Names, Quotations, and General - which is mostly the various topics (Marcus even wrote about recycling). A super bonus leading us into Hammond's work is a very comprehensive introduction by Diskin Clay giving us the background and life of Marcus in great detail, again with notes, and also an excellent list of references for further reading.

My original copy of Meditations was bought in the late 1960s and being young I found it fascinating, but also very hard going in places partly because of the English and partly because the notes were skimpy. So I did not miss it too much when a friend borrowed it, and then emigrated with my precious hardback. This 2006 edition is streets ahead of my lost copy, with Hammond's new translation in much clearer English, and many more excellently detailed and elucidatory notes.

It is not for general reading. But for a serious academic study of philosophy, or someone wishing to widen the scope of their own mind who also has several weeks to spare for their first tranche, then this deserves the highest recommendation.

Addendum 28/10/2010.
Hollywood gave us a melodramatic glimpse of an elderly Marcus, his son Commodus, and the times and environment in Gladiator, but I prefer to believe the much more accurate (if dry) introduction by Clay. The musings and writings of Marcus are all the more remarkable when given this context.
8 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 6 February 2016
The philosophy in this ground grounds you. Although written is 160 AD I feel it still holds resonance in today's world. Very good read, not too difficult to read like some philosophical texts can be and I would recommend it to everyone. As it's written in 'books' which equates to chapters within them it contains numbered paragraphs, sometimes leading on the same vein as the last, some switching to a different subject. It shows it stream of consciousness perfectly and also holds fascinating details about life as a roman emperor in that era
on 8 November 2017
I read a page or two daily from this book. Lots of wise and interesting little quotes and such. In old English so can be hard to understand sometimes.
2 people found this helpful
on 14 February 2017
Read this book slowly, and then maybe even read it again. It is good, but IMO it is easy to get lost in the words unless you really adjust your reading speed and pause throughout. Overall good.
3 people found this helpful
on 2 December 2017
The original material is very interesting, and the translation and method of presentation is both accessible and pleasant.
2 people found this helpful
on 20 July 2013
This is such a treasure, written by a Roman Emperor who served most of his career on the front line and was a Stoic.
Such humility and intensly deep observations.
We can all learn from this on a daily basis.
11 people found this helpful
on 13 January 2013
A most unusual combination a Spiritual Warrior.
•"Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has ordained that you shall live."
- Marcus Aurelius
14 people found this helpful
on 30 April 2016
I dip into this often and find his ideas very moving. The book is full of advice that has not dated at all. down the centuries.
3 people found this helpful
on 17 May 2016
Fast delivery, and this book it awesome, I recommend it to those who face adversity in their lives, I had it once before ,I actually stole it from a book shelf ...but felt bad and returned it to a charity shop, felt like it was missing from my life so I had to buy it this time.