Customer reviews

on 30 June 2015
fantastic
on 20 December 2014
A wonderful translation of the most remarkable poem in Western Literature
on 5 February 2014
Kirkpatrick is a translator who follows no single theory of translation - this means that his text is intelligently woven and attentive to sonic and structural texture. And, after all, this is what Dante himself prized the most (as is evident from his De Vulgari Eloquentia). Not only do I recommend this text, but I insist that it is indispensible to anybody who calls him/herself a lover of literature. Paradiso, more than any text in the literary canon, is a work that will stay with you forever.
And for the literature student, Kirkpatrick's translations are fantastic because they come with extensive notes covering every single topic you may be asked to write about.
Enjoy! (I know I did!)
on 31 March 2013
English on one side Italian on the other throughout. Lovely book incredible foreward which is a history lesson in itself. Really happy with the purchase.
on 24 September 2011
canto19, line 56

current text in this book:tanto, che suo principio discerna

right version: tanto, che suo principio "non" discerna
on 2 May 2011
I enjoy good clasics, the trouble the human face, man and women all the life, and what we will deal for our sins, this help us to understand the good the bad of us.
on 4 February 2011
I'm going to be honest. The only value that this had to me was the price. The translation is one of the worst I have seen, and I would recommend the Robert Durling version over this one ANY DAY. It is a translation, but without any finesse. It basically translates the text word for word, and a lot of the meaning becomes completely lost to the reader. In attempting to follow the style, rather than the meaning and the style, the only value it had to me was that it sounded nice. Comprehension and understanding of this text were nominal in comparison to other translations. Translation is an art form which Kirkpatrick has not quite grasped yet. Furthermore, the commentaries and notes did not provide much clarity into this obviously complex text. A complete waste of money. Spend the extra bit and buy the Robert Durling edition.