on 26 April 2015
This is an excellent translation of this poem. We used it as the text for a study group where we read the whole poem, and before we began we did some research into all the English versions currently available. We found this to be far and away the best, and it has the additional advantage of rendering the Persian into rhyming couplets like the original. There is some sacrifice of meaning in order to achieve this, but the result justifies it, as it is very easy to read, especially out loud, and many passages are beautiful, giving a real taste of Attar's poetic genius. The previous edition, published in 1984, omits some of the preface, but this edition includes all of it and so it is complete.
3 people found this helpful
on 20 November 2015
A wonderful excemplification of the Sufi beliefs presented in an endearing story. The story reflects the journey that the Sufi soul takes on its way back to its true source, using a group of birds and their experiences as an analogy. Highly recommended for those interested in Sufism but who are looking for something different than the usual factual information book that can be a little dry. Here you have the opportunity to gain a sense of those experiences.
on 21 October 2015
Classic, wonderful story as applicable today as when it was written. This version is written in rhyming couplets which is in many ways truer to the original than other prose versions. It is also more complete than the CS Nott translation. Everyone who is interested in sufism and/or the spiritual journey should have a copy of this book on their bookshelves.
2 people found this helpful
on 15 July 2015
I purchased this recently for my good Lady and the book has not been out of her hand since starting to read it. I will read it myself after she has finished, but if the daily updates and her obvious pleasure with the book are anything to go by I would recommend this as a read to anyone interested in the esoteric meaning and nature of life.
on 21 December 2017
This is misleadingly offered for sale as the kindle edition of the Penguin Classics translation by Dick Davis and Afkham Darbandi. It is in fact a bland prose translation of Attar. Avoid.
on 16 September 2013
Generally translations of poetry from one language to another end up losing the beauty of the original language. the authors have done an excellent job of making sure that some of the original beauty is preserved.
5 people found this helpful
on 22 May 2018
Great
on 27 February 2014
I am not a scholar so cannot speak to the translation of this classic work but I find it both readable and deeply moving. The tales and parables are spiritually insightful and have helped me look at the spiritual path in a different way. It really resonates with me.
on 15 November 2013
I thought there was a delay in delivery of this book, but perhaps I was too keen for it. It is an excellent book, highly recommended for anyone who wants to learn about Sufi traditions of Islam. Great service from this vendor as well. Thank you for providing me an opportunity to enrich myself. Bless you all.
on 12 August 2016