on 27 April 2017
Just to have a first hand account from a time so long ago, and written by a man who is still famous, is already impressive. This is a classic of history, both in style and content, and this is an excellent translation. Accepting that Julius Caesar was an ambitious politician as well as an excellent General, he gives a concise and lucid account of the events in Gaul, in which he was a central figure. It is still a good read, and would withstand many more re-reads.
on 1 March 2018
I am not going to review Caesar, though I might praise him, rather the quality of the books I ordered together with the service. Both were better than those of other suppliers. The book itself was first class and the delivery left nothing to criticise. As my landlady will confirm, I am a confirmed print addict, being convinced that a stray EMP will one day take out our gadgets! Seriously when I am writing I need to have several open at once, when not I am constantly researching and need to lay my hands on information sans Google. Amazon, and their affiliates fulfil everything I need.
on 24 February 2018
Fascinated to get my hands on this book and, yes it is very readable. So why just 3 stars? There are supposed to be 4 maps, according to the Contents page, on pages 266-269. However, the book ends at page 256! No maps! This is a great pity, as maps would greatly help in understanding where the various tribes that Caesar describes are located. You can get round this by googling the tribes and regions and bring up some helpful maps, but this is tedious.
on 24 March 2015
Ceasers Conquest of Gaul is a readable account of the early years of the French Tribes struggle with the armies of the Roman conquest. Has maps of some of the major battles that are easily understood and clarified. A very good book for the general background of his attacks. That a reader of historic fiction would find useful in understanding this complex period as it is a translation from the original.
on 8 May 2016
Very interesting and will probably make you look a bit intelligent :) for lovers of the tv series ROME there is a mention of Vorenus and Pullo in here but don't get excited it is just a mention. The words of Julius Caesar himself. A master of PR.
on 26 April 2018
I have been meaning to read this book for years, and now that I have I wish I didn't read it so fast. It's fascinating how the tribes relentlessly rebelled against the Romans whenever caeser was away.

I would have paid a lot more for this book if I had too.
on 29 May 2017
Avery good book .
Safely delivered .
Thank you .
on 24 December 2016
Even the people who hated his politics loved his writing. When your enemies ( like Cicero ) praise your writing... it is good
on 20 October 2016
I'm only received my book after sending two reminders. However the book is great and excellent value.
on 25 January 2017
Julius Caesar. Ancient writing at its best, direct to the point. Still resonates today. The Gallic wars show Caesar at his best as a general, leader and a writer.