on 25 November 2013
Euripides is one of my favourite ancient Greek authors and this volume was a replacement for a lost copy of the same. Many thanks.
on 17 April 2016
In terms of sheer readability, I find Philip Vellacott's translations in the old Penguin Classics editions vastly superior to James Morwood's in this Oxford World's Classics edition. I've given this volume a three star rating because the plays are well worth reading in themselves, and the ones I've seen are enormously powerful on stage, but I'd certainly recommend getting hold of Vellacott's versions if at all possible, perhaps using this one as a supplement for the sake of the more up to date introduction and notes, and because it includes the interesting "Rhesus", which as far as I know Vellacott hasn't done.
I'm not in a position to compare the translations in terms of how closely they adhere to the original Greek, but comparing the openings of the two versions of Bacchae will show what I mean about readability:

Vellacott: "I am Dionysus, son of Zeus. My mother was Semele, daughter of Cadmus: I was delivered from her womb by the fire of a lightning-flash."

Morwood: "I am the son of Zeus, Dionysus. Semele, the daughter of Cadmus, bore me once in a birth precipitated by the lightning flame."

"The son of Zeus, Dionysus" is clumsy enough in itself, but the decision to give that run of three separate names together seems to me inexplicable.

Morwood doesn't translate the sung passages as verse, though confusingly he does set them out in lines ("This is a prose translation. However, lyrical and choric passages - intended for sung or chanted performance - have been laid out on shorter lines. These will inevitably have the appearance of free verse, but the translator's aim has been simply to denote the distinction between the spoken and sung or chanted areas of the play." Why, I wonder, couldn't italics have done the job?) Vellacott does use rhyming verse for such passages, and again this adds to the pleasure and vividness of the reading experience, though I don't know what it may have cost in terms of strict accuracy of translation.
on 23 December 2010
This is the third volume of Euripides I have recently enjoyed. About Easter I began to read and study classical literature, all bought from Amazon U.K. Some I had previously read, Dante's "vision" , "Paradise Lost", and Homer.
Feel priviledged to have access to this ancient world with it's eternal truths and wisdom. Now I have read the Iliad again, in Penguin DeLuxe edition; will gladly get to know more of these.
I enjoyed especially the Comedies of Terence...just as if one had a front stalls seat in the theatre!
The notes at the back of these books are of great help, particularly in the Oxford World's Classics series.
Euripides "Hecuba" should not be missed and I heard a most interesting interview with Frank McGuiness on his staging of this great work, by way of iTunes and my iPod!
I am a pensioner with an appetite for learning, trying to make up for my laziness as a schoolboy and, thanks to Amazon U.K.this I am doing!
Malcolm, from Northern England but long time resident of Norway.
on 2 February 2014
It arrived in good condition and within the time given. I found some of the contents rather slow-moving , but with the showing of the play concerned as a production on tv,it became much clearer.
on 1 October 2013
Provides a happy reminder of stage productions seen. You either like Chekhov or you don't. Like
other writers who highlight human relationships, Chekhov excels!
on 17 November 2015
There's a reason why Euripedes is still published thousands of years after these plays were written. The Bacchae is one of the best stories I've ever read.
on 20 January 2016
Came in the condition described and in perfect time. This is the edition of The Cherry Orchard every actor, pro, semi-pro or amateur should use. Period.
on 16 February 2016
Read these plays as a naive teenager of fifteen years
Now over fifty years later - deep deep deep - every idea resonates
on 17 August 2016
Bought as a present and the recipient is looking forward to reading it
on 1 April 2015
Excellent translation of this extraordinary work.