on 11 August 2013
These latest Penguin English Library editions are very well formatted with thoughtfully designed, substantial covers, quality paper and immaculately printed.

This is the third (after The Warden and Barchester Towers) and so far the best of Trollope's Barchester novels I've read.
His portrayals of the subtleties and nuances of character and the importance of, and relationship between, rank, money and marriage in the rural aristocracy (believed to be Dorsetshire) are exemplary. Trollope accurately emphasises the shades of grey in the generally fundamentally decent people of his novels, with only a few 'baddies' and 'goodies'. Doctor Thorne was Trollope's personal favourite of this excellent series.

Although I read very little fiction, Trollope's classic English novels of 150 years ago are a genuine pleasure.
on 31 August 2016
This is such a glorious contrast to the world in which we now live ! The story is so old world and with such beautiful manners as no longer exist except in very select circles. The story is slow and the writing of such beautiful prose using many phrases and quotations whch I had not previously known. The appendix to explain was valuable as I might have missed understanding many of the references.
Trollope is a joy to me and all the Barsetshire novels are a wonderful evocation of a style of life long gone from our world .
on 20 December 2013
A very unpredictable plot. Interesting, certainly. the characters are interesting, the plot good, and the world created absorbing. Some very serious points and moving scenes as well - such as those concerning the evil of alcohol abuse.
SPOILER ALERT: Don't read the rest of this review if you don't want spoilers!
In terms of criticisms: Although Trollope sympathises with Frank and Mary and Miss Dunstable, and criticises Frank's mother and the other characters who want him to marry for money, I found it difficult to sympathise with the right people. It seemed very foolish for Frank and Mary to marry and have nothing to live on! Nor did I really think Dr Thorne sensible in causing needless worry and confusion to all by withholding the information that Mary would inherit Sir Louis Scatcherd's property - it surely only caused his niece (and everyone else!) unnecessary pain, as the Gresham family would surely have been much more amenable to the match and `persecuted' (not that it really seemed like persecution) Mary far less if they had known. I mean, he was counting on dead men's shoes (or whatever the expression), anyway in that he knew and considered in his own mind the difference it would make!
Doctor Thorne
on 24 March 2016
This is my first Trollope book and after looking at the 1st part of this on TV decided to have a go. Loving it, although Trollope does seem to repeat himself and jump back and forth over the years I can still follow the story without difficulty. If you like a love story of this decade all I can say is give it a go. I am so glad I did. Once I have finished my evenings just will not be the same. Another Trollope, or, watching football on TV with my husband. No contest.!!!
on 19 November 2016
This is the weakest of the Barchester novels, but nevertheless a good, relaxing read if you like Victorian fiction.
on 10 January 2016
I was forced to ready Anthony Trollope at school, not always a good thing. Years later and I am rediscovering the wit and insight of this renowned author. The notes inside this new edition are helpful [if sometimes a bit annoying!] I am now working my way through the series, at long last.
on 17 October 2015
Rather more that other Trollopes I have read, this takes some getting into and verged onto the booring for the first few chapters. Glad however that I persisted. A love story with Dickension characterisations and Trollope's trademark focus on moral dilemmas.
on 22 March 2016
Read this book as it was being televised on I.T.V. wanted to read the original. It's a good story with a lot of dialogue and description. I did feel it dragged a bit in places. The T.V adaption was very good; it did get through the story much quicker, but obviously left quite a lot out.
on 24 August 2017
Having watched the series on TV I decided to read the book. The TV series made the book more enjoyable.
on 1 April 2016
Not as well written as Austin not as good storytelling as Hardy. Unbelievable behaviour by hero. Not satisfying.