on 29 April 2016
Great read,John gay came from my town.
This is still one of my all time favourite plays, although it is really a ballad opera. John Gay through allegory, and most importantly satire shows us the world he lived in, taking in such characters as Walpole, and the criminals Jack Sheppard, and criminal/ thief taker, Jonathan Wild. It is so reassuring to know that whilst we complain about the actions of our politicians and the MP expenses dodges that nothing has changed. At least we can rest assured that they aren't doing anything new.

Characters from this story became household names at the time, and Lavinia Fenton became a star playing Polly Peachum in this. This was so popular and reading it it is easy to see why. Satirising Italian Opera as well as the corruption of the period this has many elements to it and is an enjoyable read.

It was said that this made 'Rich gay, and Gay rich' and as this became the longest running play of the time it is easy to see the truth in this quote.

I must admit that I have always been loath to write a review for this as I know I could never do it justice, and it is hard to write about this without giving something away that will ultimately lessen your enjoyment (perhaps that is why there is only one review here for it). All I can say is that this is something that would be impossible not to enjoy, and if anyone knows if or when it will be performed again in London, please leave a comment so that I don't miss it.

It was said that this made 'Rich gay, and Gay rich' and reading it you will soon see why.

on 29 November 2012
Although I know the opera well (and its reputation for "making Gay rich and Rich gay") it was good to read the whole libretto for it contains more fun as a written work than comes across when sung. Great fun.
on 30 January 2016
Witty dialogues, funny plot.
on 19 May 2014
A great example of 18th century satirical drama, it is both bitter and incredibly funny. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys satire, and not a bad version for study either. Although there were parts missing from the original play, they are not usually too significant.
on 20 August 2010
The classic by John Gay.This famous celebration of the common man was first performed in 1728. It is full of humour and satire and is as relevant today as it was in the eighteenth century.
on 14 June 2013
a good edition of the play with helpful notes and introduction. However, for me, the important thing was to have the tunes of the songs. i hope to use them in a talk aboput the author.