on 13 March 2016
If you want an anthology by poets from Lord Byron, Chaucer and Spike Milligan to Linton Kwesi Johnson, Sylvia Plath and Patience Agbabi, this very comprehensive book is for you. Laura Barker has selected over 300 poems to suit every human mood and event, to raise a laugh or move you to tears. If you have only one poetry anthology in your book collection, this is an excellent one to consider. The only reason I didn't "love" the book is because of the thin paper and because it suffers from the Curse of the Penguin - small print. Considering that many older people and those with poor sight like reading and listening to poetry, it might have been helpful to print it using a larger typeface, though of course that might have made the book unwieldy! I would be interested to know if there are plans to publish it in large print.
3 people found this helpful
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 November 2017
Great selection of poems. Varies in length. Can be used for all age groups. Lovely to dip in and out of on a regular basis. I am pleased with my purchase and would buy again.
on 25 July 2017
I bought this by accident but I have found it useful for my poetry group. It has a good selection of poems from different poets
on 21 October 2016
Beautiful book, full of great poems. Gave as a gift and recipient was absolutely delighted. Cover is a lovely hard quality paperback and adds to the pleasure of this book. Highly recommend.
on 7 August 2017
Quick delivery and as described. This is a lovely book with some unusual poems I'd never come across
on 22 May 2016
Lovely cover, I bought this as a gift. It ticked a lot of boxes although I'm not sure the majority of the poems could be classed as inspiring but I enjoyed having a sneak park
on 25 August 2014
I just love this book. I got it for my 22nd birthday from my mum and have since bought it for a few on do my friends. It's fun to read and relatable (Ogden Nash- reflections on ice breaking. Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker) ha. As well as some lovely moving poems, making me look forward to the next chapters of life. New ultimate favourite poem from the book is by DH Lawrence called Piano, as well as enjoying the classics like Rudyard Kipling's "If". Buy this- won't regret it. Makes a great gift.
on 27 April 2018
Great selection of poems, and each can be found via name and page via lists at the end.
on 17 January 2018
The poems are amazing, a good variety. But the book I ordered was "like new" and the copy came with pen and stains on the cover. I was able to clean most of it, but still disappointing as it was supposed to be a gift.
on 21 December 2010
I bought this book as a Christmas present for someone but upon glancing through it have decided to keep it for myself. Guess it'll have to be a trip to the shops to search out something else. The collection of poems is amazing and am looking forward to spending many hours reading it.
7 people found this helpful