on 7 September 2013
I have downloaded two kindle versions but apparently can only write one review - so for the first version which I do retain, I do just pretty much read the passages I like, very much as I did at school! But this literally is just the text with no notes, references, further reading etc. It was free so for just the text it's fine but I would like to have references and notes just the same.
The second version with notes by a demonologist promises annotations. Not only are there No annotations but every single line is numbered on the left hand side which makes it impossible to read.
I would be very happy to pay for a good Kindle copy with notes, annotations etc. but there doesn't seem to be one. Tell me if you find one please!
on 8 July 2017
I wanted to read this especially as I love the Iambic Pentameter blank verse style of writing but also because I have been thinking of writing a major biblical poetic work since I started writing spiritual poetry for about four years now. The idea of reading Milton had been on the back burner for years.

I read it through lightly, as I am not versed in the classics, but was looking for inspiration from the poem for my own project. I got that in bucketloads and have since started my poem, having written over 1050 lines so far. It will take time but I will get there. Paradise Lost is a real journey, difficult at times, but so worth it. Essential reading.
on 20 July 2016
I preferred the Longman edition with its much more complete notes; this edition does on the other hand have related critical texts included comments from Blake, Dryden, etc. In both editions you get footnotes instead of endnotes at the back of the book, which are too pesky when you need this many notes. Whatever you do don't try to read Paradise Lost without notes!
on 5 August 2015
Written in the early part of the Enlightenment or Age of Reason period, a wonderful, poetical, 17th.C. attempt to explain the human condition based on the mythical, biblical account of the creation of planet Earth. In short a text so good, I suggest, that it might easily make today's, 21st.C. non-indoctrinated, free thinking, materialist reader sad to be so enlightened! The 'kindle' format I received was in ten chapters with no notes so 'not the one to be with' if you're memory of and ability to understand the text is to be questioned.

To call it 'illustrated' is an insult to anyone capable of reading it; the text most worthy of illustration I personally, have ever read, painting pictures continuously before ones eyes is supplemented here by a landscape 19th.C. painting at the beginning of each chapter by artists such as Anton Hlavacek and Albert Bierstadt not to detract from their works in any way.

'Mustn't grumble', mind, @ 99p, worth every newpence and more.
on 9 March 2017
Very user friendly, no line numbering, artistically nice but harder to navigate.
on 18 April 2017
epic with constraint
on 12 November 2016
excellent, would recommend
on 16 February 2017
Love it!
on 28 November 2013
Have wanted to read this book for years but never got round to it. Having downloaded it for free I had no excuse any more. A very good read.
on 30 January 2017
One of the greatest poetry epics ever written.