Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 April 2003
They really couldn't get enough of the poems. There is such a good range from Spike Milligan through to Kit Wright and on (or back) to Roger McGough. That isn't to say that the others are any less important, funny or entertaining. Even the illustrations are great. I would recommend this book to parents of children of ages from 2 to 22. Although really I bought it for myself.
on 21 February 2011
My Aunt (head of English at a grammar school) bought this for me when I was about 6, and it immediately became one of my number one books. I adored it, and still do. It's definitely accessible for bright younger children. Some of the sections are tricky, but the pictures sometimes make things easier. I personally never had the poems read to me, but really enjoyed learning to read them to myself - I have brilliant memories of reading the Charles Causley section (which is, as they all are, beautifully illustrated) to myself in a den made of blankets in the garden. If you want your child to get into literature early I recommend this. I'm now doing and English Lit degree with an honours in Creative Writing, and can honestly say that this book lit a spark in me back then - I look back on it with love.
on 17 January 2013
It is utterly brilliant! We love it! Many requests for this boo at story time, excellent illustrations. Happy all round.
on 9 July 2009
This is a good book to get you started on poetry - good examples from various authors - you may well want to extend children's interests with specific authors - but it is a good all round introduction to different styles of poetry.
on 5 September 1999
Well I have to start off by telling you my favourite poem, it is called mirror.This is how it goes : Mirror, mirror on the wall. Could you please return our ball? It disappeard through your crack. You have two now give one back !!!!
The book has an eye catching front cover it's got all the letters in weird shapes with a gold lining!
on 29 October 2011
This is a delightful mixed bag of poems for every child and every occasion. It haas the Milliagan and Zephaniah stuff that youd expect and some lesser known treats. Good fun and a great dipper-into book. From the discerning 10 year olds we hang out with at the weekends, it gets thumbs up!
on 18 April 2001
My five boys and myself have laughed and giggled at this collection of fantastic and funny poetry. I highly recommend it to anyone with children with a sense of humour!
on 26 August 2013
i recently bought this for my daughter who has just turned 3. The poems are very good in it and it has many pages including written interviews with each of the poets. It would definitely be a better read for her once she gets older than it is suited for toddlers
on 24 December 2012
Brilliant Book
on 22 December 2013
A huge hit with my eight year old granddaughter who can hardly tear herself away from this lovingly compiled and humorous book stuffed with appealing verse and delightfully apt illustrations.