on 17 October 2016
This is the first story or novel by Salman Rushdie that I have read. I have been a long time admirer of Mr. Rushdie after learning about his real life story and have for a long time wanted to read a story by this great author. Fittingly, this novel seems to deal with the complex issues of authoritarianism and free speech and was written at a time when Mr. Rushdie was a very real victim of a death threat issued by an authoritarian regime.. It is to the authors credit that he can bundle in these complex themes with the lightness, colour and fun of a children's story. I believe it is a timeless piece of work that may even now be more applicable than at any other time since it was first published. Highly recommended. My son is 5 years old and he quite enjoyed it.
on 18 December 2016
One of my favourite books! I love it so much that I have bought it many times as presents for others!
on 5 October 2017
Beautiful book! Well worth the read for kids and adults alike. Just amazing!
on 25 July 2017
Beautiful story, not only for children. Poetic, adventurous, magical, all of the best ingredients and of course great penmanship. A must read
on 28 February 2013
I read a review which described it as a 'feel good read' so decide to try it. It isn't the sort of fiction I'd usually read. An adult fairy tale with emphasis on 'good' and 'bad' but could still be read by older children and interesting enough to keep me reading to the end.
on 30 December 2012
Originally bought this for my course at university but found I enjoyed the book and could read it over and over as it is appealing also found it appeals to younger audience and keeps them entertained for a while.
on 13 June 2016
great book, transported to mythical india
on 23 June 2016
An amusing story with lots of nuances.
on 28 October 2014
A gorgeous beautifully written fairy tale for young and not so young readers. Would make an excellent present.
on 29 June 2014
This is a lovely story and should be read by everyone. My purchase arrived in excellent condition, on time and well packaged. A good price too! ,!!