on 22 May 2014
Carries war was a lovely book. My favourite character was definitely Mr Evans because he was always so grumpy and I loved the the way the book was written.
on 11 March 2014
I loved this book as a child and I decided to read it again so ordered it from Amazon. It arrived quickly with no problems at all. It is as good as I remember it as a child. Brilliant book!
on 6 December 2013
I first listened to this book when I was 10, dyslexic and pretending to actually read along. I am 26 now and still love this book. This book is a joy to read.
on 8 July 2013
I really liked this book because at school I am learning about world war 2 and I felt like I was there with Hepsibar, Albert,Carrie, Nick, Mr Evans Aunt Lou.I have enjoyed this book because it was such a sweet story and I loved it!

I would recommend this book to any ages · Also it is a great book to read with someone else ·I read this book with my father and we discussed the book alot· So yes I really enjoyed this book!
Olivia aged 8
on 10 March 2011
I've just finished reading Carrie's War on my Kindle and I must say, I thouroughly enjoyed it.

The story is about young Carrie and her brother Nick, who are evacuated during The Second World War, to Wales to stay with Mr Evans and Auntie Lou.

Mr Evans is a fierce, angry man, while his younger sister, Louise, is quite the opposite. Auntie Lou, as Carrie and Nick like to call her, is timid and shy and lets herself be bullied by her older brother.

I don't want to spoil the story for anyone, so I won't say too much about the plot, except this...

Carrie and Nick have to stay with Mr Evans and Auntie Lou, while their friend Albert Sandwich gets to stay with Hepzibah and Mister Johnny. The book is about Carrie and Nick's stay with the Evanses, and is really great. I just kept on wanting to read another few pages each time before I put it down.

The only thing is that this book is called Carrie's War, and is about a young evacuee. However, in the book, the only references to the war were that Carrie, Nick and Albert were evacuees, Mr Evans putting up the blackout curtains and a mention of bombs. I appreciate that the children were evacuated to get away from the war, but I would have liked to have seen more historical information in this book; maybe mentioning rationing and going into more detail about bombing.

Other than that, I think this book was really good, so I am going to give it 4 Stars!
on 22 February 2002
I first read Carrie's War after it was published in the early '70's when I was about 10. I loved it and remember watching the TV dramatisation of it also which really mirrored the book. I am just discovering the book again after nearly 30 years and have bought it in England for my son as I have not been able to find it in America.
Nina Bawden really depicts what life was like for some WWII evacuees. The characters are unforgettable and the story is original and heartwarming. A must-read for every child.
on 6 November 2016
Please note the kindle edition is a copy of a play of the book not the novel itself- very unclear when purchasing.
on 25 May 2002
This was one of the most evocative books I have ever read detailing the difficulties faced by Carrie and Nick when evacuated to rural Wales and coming under the strict care of shopkeeper Mr Evans and his suppressed sister for whom the war provided a means of escape to freedom from her brother's tyranny. The book captures the children's feelings perfectly and it is easy to understand why young Carrie thought she was responsible for the fire by throwing the skull into the well. Of course as she grew older she knew that such things do not cause houses to catch fire but from a child's view it was perfectly plausible. Wonderful read for children and captures perfectly the difficulties and deprivations of war time.
on 7 January 2015
I've just re read this book from my childhood and really enjoyed for an adult it was a quick read and it would be suitable for 8 to 11 years. The story was interesting but not too detailed to let youngsters get bored. I watched the BBC series from the 70's and remember it was first I'd heard of evacuees so it is a good introduction to this part of our history.
on 12 October 2001
After reading Carrie's War in our literacy work in school,most of us decided that it was an excellent read-especially with the wide variety of characters, such as Hepzibah Green and Mister Johnny Gotobed.The character descriptions are extremely good-their faces become pictures before your eyes.We were transported back in time to World War Two with Carrie and Nick, the two young evacuees. Every chapter ends with a cliffhanger-but our teacher wouldn't always let us read on! It's a book you will want to read again and again.