on 15 November 2014
The CD version read by Samantha Bond is an absolute delight - I got it for a 10 year old and it has been a delight to see how this classic tale is spellbinding in CD form. If you don't know the story, see some of the other reviewers' writeups - your child has a treat in store!
on 26 January 2015
bought it for my 9 year old boy as it was part of his school reading list. He loved it! I was afraid the story was going to be too girly, but he absolutely loved it!
on 15 August 2010
Kept a 11/12yr old and her Dad who had never heard the story before quiet on long car journey - I loved hearing the story again. well recorded too.
VINE VOICEon 18 October 2015
A classic piece of children's English Literature, I had the omnibus as a small child and still have it some 40+ years later. This was purchased for my young Son and he loves the twists and myths of the Borrowers, often coming into his actual life conversations, usually as an excuse for something going missing... which may not be far from reality after all. Seriously, whilst we may no longer be losing our thimbles, the remote control and the odd sock are still a mystery and may not be far away at all...
on 9 May 2015
Miniature people live in skirting boards of an old house and go out on forays to collect items for their house - henee the reason why things go missing. A boy discovers and befriends them but they arc caught by his mother, who threatens to call the rat catchers to get rid of them - the boy rescues them. Like angels, this book develops the idea that life exists in other forms than that of man, who always assumes that he is the centre of the universe.
on 15 May 2014
I bought this book for my seven year old Granddaughter as we had watched the film together and she loved it. I then told her I had read the Mary Norton books when I was young. When the book arrived I skipped through it and thought it might be a little old-fashioned for modern children but she is reading it and likes it. Just goes to show that a good story can appeal to no matter when it was written.
on 25 March 2012
The Borrowers is a book that would really make people want to read more. Arietty is the one
who would want to go on the most exciting adventures. As she meets the boy that lives above her she gets more familiar with humans and you just don`t know what she is going to do next.
The Borrowers is a great book that will want people read more.
on 15 January 2014
I got this for a friends daughter as she enjoyed the TV series. Was,by all accounts, very well received (a good bed time book to share was her mums reaction) and then her daughter took it to school and shared it with her class. They all enjoyed it so much the teacher set up a small world roll play area for them to make up their own stories.
on 8 May 2014
My son loved the first book but this one slightly less as he felt the " borrowing" theme was a bit lost now they have moved outside. He read it fast as its an easy read for 11 and did enjoy it. He said it got better closer to the end. Not so enthused as he was with book 1 though.
on 21 September 2014
Arrived in no time, good condition - we are going to see this at The New Vic Theatre over the Christmas period so thought it would be good for my niece to know the story before hand. I can remember watching the series on TV as a child - hope she enjoys the book, thank you.