on 13 April 2015
I first read Wizard of Earthsea as a child and its impact on me was profound, unfolding in new insights into how the world might work as I grew up. I remembered it through my teens and when I re-read it in my twenties realised just how powerful a story it was. Le Guin's control over language, her intense focus on story, and her ability to bring a fully imagined world into play with barely any description is legendary. Written over the course of many years, this quartet traces Le Guin's own philosophical journey and does so through captivating narrative. These books work separately and together and are as thought-provoking now as when they were written.
on 6 April 2017
brilliant - could not put it down
on 26 July 2017
It's the second time I have bought this compilation. My original copy went missing so I had to have another one.
on 3 November 2013
I am fun of fantasy novels and I have enjoyed The Earthsea Quartet immensely. Wizards, dragons, and dark forces ... they are all in the story, but the story is so much more than that. It is about humans and their destinies and their fight to live meaningful lives. On tope of being great fantasy book, final story Tehanu brings something new, at least something I haven't found before in this genre - this book speaks with true woman's voice.
on 11 July 2017
good
on 12 March 2015
Four classic books in one. Can't go wrong with that.
on 24 April 2016
Wonderful, dense, rich and totally engrossing. Beautiful cover too, worth every penny.
on 1 December 2014
Great writer! Love it!
on 12 December 2015
After reading the glowing reviews, I was slightly disappointed by this. A little formulaic at times (spend 80% of the story travelling by sea towards a destination for a final confrontation with a dark enemy pretty much sums up books 1 & 3). Having said that, the endings are superb and highly imaginative. I also really enjoyed the second book in the collection (The Tombs of Atuan), although reviews seem to indicate that this is considered to be the weakest by many. Personally, I found the relationship between the characters of Tenar and Sparrowhawk/Ged to be extremely well written, the ending unexpectedly moving, and the story quite unlike anything else I've read in the fantasy genre. I would recommend the book for this story alone. Perhaps lower your expectations a little before you dive in - I have a feeling I may enjoy it more on a second read.
on 28 April 2014
And just coudelnt put the book Down. I love the story and its so well written. One of the best books Iv ever read.