Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Paloma Faith Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

Heard it in the Playground (Puffin Books)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 December 2016
A brilliant book! My nearly 6 year old daughter really enjoys both reading and listening to poetry, and was really caught up in this book!
Such expressive poems. This is a brilliant collection which I still recall reading from my own childhood. A true classic that I believe should belong on the shelf of every child' sroom. If you 've not read or heard of this, it's a must! Enjoyable for young and old alike. Witty. honest. amusing and difficult to put down!
on 28 March 2013
As a supply teacher, I needed a reasonable copy of this book at a very reasonable price. The plan being to use it as a literacy topic resource, but then to leave for the children to enjoy. Ahlberg and Amazon together - what a team!
on 15 November 2015
I bought this book purely for the sake of nostalgia as it was a firm favourite of one of my teachers and he would read it/sing it to us a lot back in the '90s. For this reason, my review is obviously biased :) But great little collection of school/playground themed poems.
on 4 April 2013
I love Allen Ahlberg's work. This poem evokes the atmosphere of the playground so well, though it has to be read aloud to fully appreciate it - preferably by children.
on 19 May 2015
I had this book when I was little, and I was so happy when I came across it again. It has some very funny and quite sad poems in there "THE GHOST TEACHER", quite dark but nice, and "THE BOY WITHOUT A NAME", very touching xx
on 24 March 2013
A wonderful children's book that is also loved by adults. Great. For reading aloud, this book is marvellous and a great addition to the classroom.
on 4 March 2009
This year (2009) is the 20th anniversary of this excellent sequel to 'Please Mrs Butler'. Although old favourites such as Mrs Butler and Derek Drew return, this is far more than another selection of poems about life in a primary school. There are lengthy poems such as 'Kicking a Ball' and 'Heard it in the Playground' that are suitable for choral speaking and I have heard them used as a centrepiece for school assemblies, including the now traditional Leavers' Assembly for Year 6's at the end of the Summer Term.
Like the other two books in this series, the poems are accompanied by perfect illustrations by Fritz Wegner which complement the poetry in a most satisfying manner. Apart from the classic lengthier poems which are extremely catchy, there are shorter ones such as 'Not Now, Nigel' about an extremely keen pupil and 'The Mrs Butler Blues'. However, possibly the finest example and one full of a mixture of emotions including memory, pathos and reflection is 'Leavers' Song' which is a staple ingredient of many final and memorable assemblies. An excerpt is:
"Goodbye, old school,
We'll miss you a lot -
The din and the dinners,
Believe it or not,
We'll miss you, Miss,
And remember you, Sir,
When lessons have faded
And homework's a blur,
Goodbye, old school,
We'll miss you a lot.........."
on 17 March 2017
Great book which my grandchildren loved especially as I am Mrs Butler
on 3 May 2011
I was given this book at about 8 and loved it until my mum nabbed it for her class and I never got it back - I was 18 then, skip foreward 12 years, i've had a baby a year ago I thought I would buy my own copy and it's taken me on a trip down memory lane, it's obvious that these poems have come from personal observation from having helped in many classrooms and lived with 2 teachers.
on 29 December 2012
Great book for kids and grown-ups! Reminds me of fun times at primary school! Definitely would recommend it to all.