on 2 September 2001
I was given this book at the age of eight, and at 30 I still love many of its poems, tho my copy is falling to bits. My stepchildren stopped all activity and listened when I read The Caterpillar's Song, looked a bit confused during Macavity the Mystery Cat and giggled about Oh I Wish I'd Looked After Me Teeth. There are great comic poems, but also more serious and thought-provoking poems. The range of ages contributing to the book's content make this such a great book to give to kids at an early age - they can find something to appeal to them whatever their mood and age. Thoroughly recommended.
11 Comment| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 October 2017
Fab book has been around for years in different forms a must for children from 6 upwards. Short fun rhymes for younger children and longer poems for older. Great for introducing poetry to children in a light hearted way.
on 17 April 2015
Bought this book for my granddaughters and they love it. Some of the poems are from my childhood and well loved.
on 20 June 2015
My granddaughter loved this book and so did I, with many poems from my childhood.
on 5 August 2007
A wonderful anthology which serves as a great introduction to the world of poetry.

I too received this poem as a present when I was about 6, and it has been a firm favourite ever since. I read my original copy so much that it fell apart by the time I was in my teens, and now my replacement copy is in tatters from being read each night to my little daughter, who adores it just as much as I did.

Though graded by age, from 6-7 year-olds, up to 14-year-olds, I started reading this to my little girl when she was just a baby, at first picking out just the cute, short, funny verse, then gradually introducing longer and more sophisticated poems.

This volume includes classic poems by Shakespeare, WH Auden, Robert Louis Stevenson, Lewis Carroll, Walter De La Mere, Tolkein, Robert Frost, A.A.Milne and many, many more. It does a great job of mixing the funny, serious, ridicuous and achingly beautiful.
on 6 December 2015
Bit of a mixed bag
on 13 February 2016
My daughter loves this book!
on 25 August 2005
I had this book as a child and sadly my original 1979 edition has gone mouldy. As I now have children of my own I simply had to replace this, it's a great introduction to poetry, all the poems are collected into suitable age rannges and gave me hours of enjoyment, I just hope the replacement does the same for my children.
11 Comment| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 May 2000
Excellent poems from both famous and unrecognised poets. The children's reviews and choose are both inspiring and refreshing. A book for any age!
This is a brilliant collection which gave my daughter a love for language and meaning many years ago which still endures, and which I hope will instil the same love in my grandchildren.I must have bought at least four replacement copies over the years.