on 31 May 2017
The Book will make you what to read more about Mrs frisby and the rats of Nimh. Nale bitingly good
on 29 July 2016
I've had this since was a child.
Its a simple but lovely story which i still e joy as an adult. I bought it for my Great Niece and she loves having it read to her.
on 29 May 2017
Read this at school, a good book & arrived in good condition
on 25 October 2007
I read this book as possibly a 10 year old and have never forgotten the rats, in the story-within-the story in the middle, learning to read the instructions inside their cages that led to their *SPOILER ALERT! * escape. I got the book again later in life and this has culminated in reading it aloud to my 5 yr old son (*with only a few slight edits/explanations of the more complicated passages). He listened intently to chapters at bedtime, engaged with all the animal characters and wanted to talk about them and even act out some of the exciting bits. We have now read it twice in a year. Then, having had the book lying around our flat recently, my dad picked it up one visit and started reading ... and I now have to pass it on to him; he's 70. So all round, one of my favourite "children's" books. I only recently realised Robert C. O"Brien was an american author, as the story had to me a completely english feel - either way its extremely well-written in both structure and language. Mainly, it's very original. And there's an interesting snippet at the back as to how the seeds of the story were planted in the author's mind.
on 29 August 2017
A lovely book - I am reading it with my 9 year son. We are both excited for bedtime to hear more.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 26 March 2015
This is obviously an excellent book, but here's what might be an interesting thought. There are lots of books with animal characters, but in very few of them do you really feel like the characters are those animals, (as opposed to just characters that have been put into animal bodies). For example, the one complaint I read in reviews of Brian Jacques' "Redwall" series is that scale is always way off, and characters don't act like the animals they are supposed to be.

Here, the rats are rats and the mice are mice. They think, behave and cope just like you would expect sentient, intelligent rats and mice to act. So, in addition to the charm of the story and the appeal of the characters as such, you also get a chance to really appreciate the creativity that went into conceiving and writing the book. Fun bonus.
on 3 October 2014
I loved this story as a child and still do. Beautifully crafted and written with care and attention to detail.
on 1 February 2016
This is a wonderful story, years ago I bought it for our son and this time I bought it for our grandson. They both enjoyed reading it together.
on 6 March 2017
For my kids - as good for them as it was for me all those years ago.
on 2 December 2003
I am only 12, but was engoed by this epic story. It was better than the moive, which is a rare thing for me to say. I would recomed this book to anyone with an heart and soul. I prosime, you will be suprised by a the twists. And I would like to thank my Teacher, Mr. T, for reading tis book.