Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Fitbit

Customer reviews

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 12 March 2003
As someone who was not fed a diet of moomins, moomins and more moomins as a kid I can confirm that it is not pure nostalgia for bygone days that keeps these books is print. There is a compulsive quality of sweetness and innocence in the Moomin series that is difficult to find in most modern hectic lives. It leaves the reader with a renewed appreciation of the simple things in life and a determination to make some time for simple but delightful pursuits: reading, walking, noticing nature (at least that's how I feel after dipping in to the world of the Moomins!)
Moominland midwinter is certainly the best of the bunch. Moomintroll wakes up in the middle of winter whislt all the rest of the family are still hibernating. He discovers a winter wonderland full of weird characters that he had been completely unaware of in his previous sleepy winters.
If you have never read any Moomin books before, now is as good a time as any to start!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 April 2015
I am pleased to see how many people still love the Moomin books in adulthood. At age 6/7 they were an abolute delight to me and I read them again many times right into adulthood.

There is something very special about Tove Jansson's writing. Despite the charming simplicity, the characters have depth. She presents them with real problems of human existence and brings compassion and understanding to their world. The translator deserves special credit for crafting simple and beautiful English from the original.

I would encourage all Moomin fans to read the more mature tales too - Moominpappa at Sea, Moominland in November and Tales from Moominvalley. Her adult novel, The Summer Book, is first class literature.
on 18 November 2016
I have loved the Moomins for many years. Gave away my paperbacks some time ago. I needed an excuse to buy the hardback versions!

There is, for me, one big disappointment with each Moomin book. Coming to the very last page.
on 2 June 2017
A deceptively gentle book. These imagined creatures become ever more real as their conversations unfold. I loved it and intend to read them all, and get the set for my grandchildren. Very, very perceptive.
on 9 April 2017
Loved the stories. Great wisdom and ideas. However, it felt uncomfortable to me that this female writer has written such shallow and stereotypical female characters, when the male characters are all so amazingly rich and complex. Wondering if she was only able to find the rich and complex parts of herself outside expected norms of femaleness.
on 30 June 2017
I am a moomin fan. I bought this to read to my grand-daughter. My original copy had fallen to pieces.
on 15 June 2017
My 12 year old daughter loves these books
on 3 March 2017
A charming book and a must for the collection
on 19 July 2017
great
on 15 March 2017
Engrossed in this book I think even more so than as a child in the late 1960's early 70's. Miliband has welcomed me back!