on 16 November 2005
I love Adele Parks - and was really keen to read her new book. When I started reading it I ralised within 2 sentences that I had read this book before. I then found out this book has been previoulsy published in the UK as the Other Woman's Shoes.
If you have not read this book, then it is great. It made me cry (which a book has not done before). It is all about sisters and their realtionships. I think this is one of Adele's best books - but her others are also brilliant as well.
Anyway if you are a fan and already have the full set of books - do not bother buying this one. Otherwise I do recommend you buy this - as it is great.
0Comment| 125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 February 2006
I am very disappointed to find that adele parks has started pulling the same cheap stunts as other authors and re-releasing books under a different title and cover just to con faithful readers into buying the same book twice. NOT A GOOD MOVE!!!
on 6 February 2006
I too thought this was a "new" book. Sadly it isn't. It is a good book - but not if you have already read it under the cover of The Other Woman's Shoes...
on 20 June 2004
I have not long finished reading "The Other Woman's Shoes" and thought it was Adele Parks' best yet. As with all her books I was rationing the last couple of chapters, as I didn't want it to end! The long legged, gorgeous shoed cover gives a real sense of glamour and sophistication to the characters in the book. "The Other Woman's Shoes" depicts the love lives of sisters Martha and Eliza so well that it was easy to relate, and in a strange way, aspire to.
With the little twists of fate in the story line, Martha realises the reality of married life, children and the dream home she has longed for since she was a little girl, just isn't living up to her dreams. Adele creates a journey in which Martha finds her true character. Could the man in her life live up to her new expectations?
Eliza, on the other hand, finds her single lifestyle with no real commitments, is not actually what she longs for. Or is the source of her happiness, right under her nose and she just can't see it? I found myself routing for both women to make the right decisions.
The 2 stories of Martha and Eliza run along side each other and highlights that as much as sisters may think they know each other inside out, what makes them tick etc, there is still room to surprise each other.
For me "The Other Woman's Shoes" is about finding happiness that sets the characters free, releasing the sexy, fun, and loving women they really are.
An ideal book to take on holiday and I have to admit by the end I was moved to tears more than once! There are also many instances that I was laughing out loud and it is a book that generally made me smile. Superb! I am looking forward to Adele's next masterpiece "Still thinking of you".
on 14 February 2006
Thanks to the reviews kindly left by others I've decided not to buy. I'm big AP fan & am very disappointed to learn this book is one of her OLD books under a new guise - what a cheat !
on 29 August 2003
This is possibly my favourte book that I have read in years. I was so moved by the heartfelt description of getting over a major break up. The characters are frighteningly realistic, I thought the author had been following me! The plot has the necessary twists and turns to keep you interested. If you have ever loved and lost, or even just loved buy this book. It's going to be big, move over Bridget Jones, this is a book for grown up girls!
on 12 October 2003
I have just read the reviews for this book and i think that they are very unfair! I am not normally one to go for this sort of book but i found it hilarious, refreshing, light hearted and above all really good! So what if its predictable or a little sloppy in places. I am normally a thriller fan and therefore shunned this book when someone bought me it recently however for a change i thought id give it a go and i found i actually liked it. The story being that two sisters lives whom are completely the opposite of one anothers are suddenly swapped and each sister takes on another role. It is enlightening and is very much true in many places! For all those who have ever been dumped this will make you laugh! It is as though Adele Parks has followed every woman around after being dumped because I know that I saw myself in both Eliza And Martha! And Im sure others will agree! It is not a book of mystery nor a book of intrigue but it is a relaxing comfortable book that you dont have to think about just enjoy!
I love this and give it a big thumbs up!
on 20 August 2003
A fantastic, very well written and very refreshing book. Ideal for summer holiday, or winter evenings - certainly worth your while! Would recommend to all women in the world!
on 1 July 2007
I bought this book being a big Adele Parks fan and like the other readers found out it was an old book with a new title, this was very dissapointing as I was on holiday. DO not buy if you have already read "The other Womans Shoes"
on 30 September 2003
I wouldn't usually submit a negative review, preferring to forget the whole sorry experience on reading a dreadful book, but having seen this one nonchalantly striding into the Sunday Times top ten I felt compelled to protest. This is a truly awful novel, saturated with whinging, packed full of unrealistic dialogue and glaring errors where continuity is concerned. The plot was pathetically weak and seemed to have been constructed purely for the classic cop-out 'they all lived happily ever after'. The final insult being the two main characters names, which being repeated every three words, were like a cheese grater on bare skin! I am appalled that this should be classed as top ten material just because a large supermarket has decided to stock it - like fish paste, you wonder how it made it onto the shelf and who on earth it's there for?! Please Ms Parks, a little less self indulgence and repetitiveness would go a long way.