Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 July 2012
I first heard of Adele Parks a few years ago when a book company dropped off some books at my work place and I started giving this one a cheeky read during my lunch hour. I ended up buying this book and all the others that I could find and have kept up to date with the releses.

ALthough I own this book in paperback I though I would reivew on the digital verision as well as the paperback. This is one of the few books that I can read again and again and is still the one I pick up to re-read when I have no other book on the go.

This book is the story of George ( Georgina) and Hugh, a very sucessful couple who live and work in london. Their lives get turned upside down when George becomes pregnant. Initially I did not warm to George and found her (sorry) almost pathetic in the quest for hugh I think this may have been intentional because as the story progresses I found myself really liking for her and cheering her on (obviously not out loud). I found myself reading this book a few tims during my pregnancy as I found I related to Georges problems and progress.

This is my favourite of Adele Parks 's books and my most read book I own.
on 13 December 2012
This is the third book by Adele Parks I've read and it will be my last. I started with Whatever it takes which I liked. I enjoyed less About last night but went on to read Larger than life driven by the reviews and I didn't like it at all. I could not warm up to the main character, a woman chiefly defined by her obsession for a man, whose best friend is chiefly defined by her obsession to get married. Doesn't it sound a little too simplistic? For me the characters were poorly construed and the author tried to compensate for that by trying too hard to make the protagonist's pregnancy experience something that should have the reader read out loud. Most of the time I didn't and simply found the exaggerations annoying.
on 18 February 2015
I haven't managed to finish it. It is full of really snotty, shallow characters and it was boring me rigid. I don't know if I will bother to go back to it. It has really put me off the author. Complete waste of money!
on 12 August 2014
Got bored of the main character whinging on about having greasy hair just because she was pregnant, she just whinged the whole way through book about the same stuff. Boring and annoying and a pathetic woman!!!! I really like Adele Parks but this book was a let down. Sorry!
on 19 April 2012
Larger Than Life
This was my first immersion into Adele Parks and I will happily admit I was pleasantly surprised. This isn't my usual genre but I found it to resonate strongly with me. George, the main character, goes on a Rite of Passage that is experienced by many career-women-turned-mother - including myself. Waking up one day 6 months into a pregnancy realising that 'things have to change' is a familiar tale. George is a strong character and Parks' handling of her is sympathetic allowing for the fact that we all 'ignore what we want to ignore' in those we love. It is a modern take on the 'rose tinted spectacles' idiom. Love the social commentary too. Keen to dip into her other novels now.
on 3 October 2011
Whenever I feel the need for some serious chick lit in my life Adele Parks novels are almost always one of my first port of calls after discovering young wives tales several years ago. The thing I love most about her novels is the way she isn't afraid to take a perfectly contented character and completely change the path of their life, however heartbreaking it is for the character and reader.

Larger than life tells the story of Gerorgina aged 32 who since the age of 18 has been completely in love with Hugh despite the fact that in between them meeting and now he married one of her friends and had two childen with her. Everything about Georginas life has been centred around Hugh, her career choices, how much she weighs, who she socialises with, the music she listens to etc. Now Hugh has finally left his wife and moved in with her, Georgina unexpectantly discovers she is pregnant, at first Hugh seems pleased but his actions reveal something entirely different as the pair get closer to becoming parents.

What I absolutely loved about this book was the complete evolution of Georgina as a character and person. In the beginning of the book Georgina starts off pretty sarcastic and smug, she thinks she has it all figured out now that she is with Hugh. As her pregnancy progreses and Hugh's behaviour deteriorates all her vunerability as a person comes out and she begins to challenge everything about her lifestyle and relationship with Hugh.

I don't want to spoil the story for anyone but the ending really did make me emotional because I felt like Georgina had shown real courage and a massive strength of character to make some life changing decisions.

If you are looking for some chick lit with a gritty story and a few twists then don't miss this.
on 15 May 2014
What an excellent read, another book that I just could not put down, a real page turnner, I promise you.
on 8 June 2012
I have read many of Adele Park's books and enjoyed all of them which is why I couldn't wait to read this one but what a boring I only struggled to get to page 68...the story is going nowehere. Hugh is wimp and there are too many descriptions of things not revelant to the story...story? What story..unless you're pregnant and want to read about every thought, every craving, every chucking up bout.. then forget it...waste of paper.
I read this book fairly quickly, and while I did enjoy the general story, there were times when I wanted to scream with frustration.
We follow the life of Georgina (George), who falls pregnant to her boyfriend Hugh. He left his wife and children for her and is less than pleased about the news.
Hugh treats Gerogina disgustingly, but she does absolutely nothing about it. For example, when Hugh and Henry (a friend) are talking outside, George hears Hugh say 'she's piling on weight and she used to have the most amazing tits but now they are fast beginning to resemble cows' udders, decorsted with veins and stretch marks that look like the tube map' but she just walks away and goes to bed. The next morning it's forgotten! She lets women down! I kept thinking she'd stand up to him, but she never does. Even the ending is pathetic and such a letdown.
Worth a read but not the best Parks book I've read (try Husbands instead).
on 2 March 2010
I love this book - I sat up half the night to finish it the first time and have re-read it several times since. I wanted to add a review as I have seen lots of people say how annoyed they were with the characters at the start and some people stopped reading halfway through. You need to stick with it! Real life is not all 'goodie vs baddie' - the most true to life characters are a realistic mix of flaws, good intentions and bad judgements. I won't give away the story of this book but I believe it comes good in the end and sends a very positive message, especially in our image conscious society.