on 30 November 2016
the ancient story of Rama and Sita, and also Ravana and the monkey god Hanuman. This is well worth reading if you want to know the ancient history of India, and will complement knowledge of their gods and culture.
on 7 June 2017
class ic book, slightly filmsy cover thought it would be nicer
on 30 July 2017
Good translation
on 7 July 2013
I like the appearance of the book from a production point of view. The introduction is very good but that is all I've read so far so can't judge the translation but it does look good on a cursory glance through. This is a book that anyone interested in Indian spirituality and how it relates to Western spirituality, should read. If you come into that category you will find it fascinating and enlightening.
on 10 February 2015
Lovely clothbound cover on this book. Pages very thin which is disappointing and no ribbon page marker. Not usual quality.
on 12 June 2000
There are many other versions of The Ramayana available, but this one, in its original Indian print translation is the one which touches the heart of the story. Rajagopalachari has written the story of Rama as it should be, as part of the oral tradition of Indian literature, not a westernised version to suit different literary tastes. It is not readily accessible, and not the easiest of reads for the novice, but if you want a true telling of the story, and one which includes intricate variations and additions, then this is the only version. Forget the more glossy editions entirely.
on 31 March 2013
This version is only a small part of the whole story. It is an excellent translation that is a gripping read, but just as the story gets exciting the book finishes as Hanuman goes off to find Sita!

Well written but a shame it is so short!
on 7 August 2013
Such a wonderful story filled with values. The book is really exciting which I never actually expected. Thought it would be boring, but still wanted to read as it is our history. Highly recommended. Must read I would say.
on 6 January 2016
Precise and cery good book to read
on 3 February 2014
I have been interested in Indian Spirituality and Philosophy for a few years now, and after having studied Buddhism, have branched out to include Hinduism and Yoga philosophy only to discover many common threads. I wanted to know more about Indian culture; I wanted to know who Rama, Sita and Hanuman the monkey-god are. I wanted to understand what the big deal was about this Ramayana , the popularity of which has spread around most of south asia, and the world beyond.

I was a little daunted by the size of the book when I received it in the post, especially as I don't usually bother with works of fiction.

I will cut to the chase and simply say that this book is amazing.The book portrays very clearly what a righteous life is, and contrast this with lives that are dicted by the whims of personal vanity or greed. I thought it does really well at illustrating that actions have consequences, and that action rooted in truth leads to more favourable results than action that arises from greed, hatred or delusion. I found this book a pleasure to read. I was hooked, and wanted to keep reading to see how the characters would navigate their way through personal and spiritual dilemmas.

I had just a couple of slight problems with the story. Firstly, the battlescene at the end went on for well over 100 pages, which made for tedious reading in my opinion. The section was full of 'he picked up a rock, smashed it over someones head, another person got involved, he killed lots of people; then he got picked up in the air and thrown down...'. I kept checking how many pages of this I had left to go through. I was a little disappointed in the ending, also; I didn't like how Rama betrayed Sita in the Epilogue: it seemed to me cowardly how he could treat his loyal wife this way just because some of his subjects were gossiping about them.

I hope this review helped a little.