on 16 April 2014
I'm not a great flyer so decided I'd do some background reading in order to understand a little more about what makes aviation and planes work in order to hopefully feel more at ease with it. This book is a really good read covering all the ins and outs of Aviation in a easy to digest manner....not too vague and at the same time not to technical. Goes through the whole flight from 'push back' at the airport at the beginning, takeoff, cruising and then landing explaining all the sounds, sensations and technicalities of it all. I have now become a little obsessed with flying and instead of being anxious am now excited about boarding Boeings finest. This book definitely helped and if you have any interest in aviation is worth reading.
on 31 May 2012
This book is AMAZING! It has a really easy to read interface. (However the fact that it's a square, rather than 'normal book' size was a little uncomfortable at first - I got used to this quite quickly, but it's difficult to read like a regular book for a long time.) It has very distinct sections so you can read about specific things, and even has little 'fact boxes' on some pages for extra info. It's such a good read, I received it 8 hours ago, and I'm already half way through it! I've been reading it to some members of my family, too who've also found it really interesting! This is totally worth getting!
on 23 June 2013
I absolutely loved this book from beginning to end and will read it again. It contains everything you've ever wanted to know about flying/airlines. It's interesting and fascinating and the author has a great way of writing and explaining certain aspects of flight which make it easy for the reader to understand. For aviation enthusiasts, this book would be most enjoyable and for anyone who may be afraid of flying, I should think reading this would put their minds at rest. Once started, I found it hard to put this book down. This really is an excellent read.
on 19 August 2003
Pilots never have beards or why the co-pilots have to wear an oxygen mask whilst the pilot is in the loo?! Or why you can't use mobile phones onboard or why planes almost always take off into a headwind?!
Well, everything you wanted to know about flying is contained in this fascinating book (plus there's the whole science bit if you're interested in that!!)
on 31 January 2013
Really liked this book, would probably be good for someone with a fear of flying (like me) but I doubt it would rid you of your fear completely (like me). Still, very interesting anyway apart from the last few chapters which I found boring and didn't read - but someone else would probably find them interesting. The first part of the book relates to flying as a passenger on a commercial airline, and the last chapters relate to the history of aviation etc.
on 8 April 2013
I'm now reading this book for the second time, I think it's probably aimed at the fearful flyer - which I am. It presents the facts very well and has lots of very interesting facts. Personally I got terribly bored towards the last few chapters as it seemed to be about the history of aviation which unfortunately I don't care about, but you don't need to read those chapters for it to be a good book.

I think it was worth the money.
on 4 August 2014
Highly informative and entertaining for any air traveller who wants to know more about how it's all done, presented in an engaging way. I am still wondering, though, how it is that different authorities still cannot agree on exactly what physical processes enable heavier-than-air planes to fly. After all, it's not rocket-science (mostly)!
on 16 December 2013
Just wanted to back up the comments by other (more verbose!) reviewers, that this is a riveting & very informative book. I'm always dipping in to find something new. Although I've flown loads, there's a lot in here I never knew, so really recommend it if you can get your hands on a copy.
on 25 August 2014
It's a good read, and nicely presented, personally I would have preferred some more detail with regards to specific instances with commercial traffic, though it gives a good insight for nervous flyers and does explain the overall concept of flight in a reassuring manner.
on 20 May 2015
Excellent explanation of everything to do with flying. It answered all my questions and more. Form before you fly to being in the air and everything in between. If you have any issues about flying, read this book!