Customer reviews

Sichuan Cookery
Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 July 2016
Fuchsia's knowledge and enthusiasm shine out throughout this book. The recipes I have tried have all been great. The 'fish fragrant aubergine' has converted me to aubergines and the steamed and fried dumplings are great - the recipes for homemade dumpling wrappers are straightforward and work well. Many of the recipes have only a handful of ingredients so after buying a few storecupboard ingredients it was easy to make a number of recipes.
on 17 September 2009
If your reading this review you've probably read the others aswell and are just seeking confimration on whether or not to buy it. This book is truly incredbile, you wont be recreating take away favourites but you will be creating fragrant, colourful, and tatsy authentic Chinese food. I cannot reccomend this book enough, the introduction is superbly written and allows you to feel Fushia Dunlops experiences in China. A truly inspiring book - the one downside is that after purchasing this book my jeans no longer fit.
on 26 August 2011
I am from Sichuan, and knows this is the best Sichuan cook book! Detailed recipe, understand the philosophy, and great choice of dishes!
on 7 February 2010
This is the second copy of this book I have bought. It is the result of one intelligent woman's obsession with the cuisine of Sichuan and gives an account of the culture and cooking of this most chilli-infused of Chinese regions. Fuchsia Dunlop spent a long time there and was taught to cook professionally. The recipes are elaborate and authentic and always worth preparing; the results are mouth-tinglingly delicious. She has written two other books that I own, a cookery book on Hunan, and a memoir, both of which are fascinating .
on 8 November 2002
Without doubt Sichuan Cookery is one of the greatest food books ever written! This is far more than just a wonderful collection of recipes from the real Sichuan cuisine. It puts the food in cultural context. It explains the importance of various ingredients in great detail (and how to source most of those ingredients if you are living in the UK). It provides history of the Sichuan cuisine.
After reading this book I came to really understand just how incredibly varied regional Chinese food is. Now if we could just have a book like this for every other region...
on 24 February 2013
This was exactly what I was looking for - meets all expectations - recipes and history of Sichuan cookery well explained and easy to follow.
on 8 February 2006
This is a lovely book - very informative and interesting. However, I find the recipes just a bit too fussy for my taste. It would be great for that extra special meal, but sadly all I've done with this book is leaf longingly through the pages.
on 14 November 2009
This is a truly excellent book: the writer has a thorough knowledge of Sichuan food and her recipes are clear, for the most part simple, and always absolutely delicious. She provides a lot of cultural information too, and useful suggestions on where to find these ingredients in specialized shops. I experienced this book as if it were a trip to Sichuan: hot, and very exciting!
on 21 June 2009
In my opinion, a good cookery book tells an interesting story, educates and, naturally, has excellent recipes. This book more than fits the bill.
Fuchsia Dunlop is an impressive writer, and this is an amazing book and a valuable resource to all of us wanting to know more about Chinese regional cooking. I have nothing but high praise for it.
on 27 August 2014
This book is a revelation. I've done quite a bit of Chinese cooking but very few Sichuan recipes until now. The recipes in this book are quite the best I've ever encountered and I love the hot spicy Sichuan flavours. The bean curd ecipes are wonderful.