on 2 June 2017
I was lucky enough to have been allotted this book as my 'O' level novel back in the sixties and loved it then and still reread it periodically ever since. I hope the TV adaptation encourages more people to pick it up and enjoy it as much as I did/do.
The Corfu Tourist board must love this book......it really makes you want to jump on a plane!
on 9 November 2016
A timeless and entertaining account of an English family living in Greece before WW2. I enjoyed this book as a child, and now as an adult, I have found that it is still a joy to read.
on 23 June 2017
I bought this book after seeing the DVD and TV film of the same name..... personally I much prefer the film version... find the book not so easy to get into ....
on 1 September 2017
Read this year's ago and enjoyed it then- seen the series on tv, and wanted to prove to myself that the books are so much better than the rather weak adaptation on the small screen. The descriptions of their life, the countryside and flora and fauna are so enjoyable with witty observations through out.
on 18 August 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed this when I read it first, over 50 years ago (copy borrowed from the public library - remember them?). I don't imagine it's changed in the interim. I acquired the Kindle edition to replace a crumbling paperback.
on 16 August 2014
I adore this film. It is my new 'cheer up' movie. It's quirky, laugh out loud funny and warm. So weird seeing now 'famous' faces in early roles - Russ Tovey, Matthew Goode, etc. Stand out is Matthew Goode - he's got great comic timing and adds in hilarious physical comedy - he pulls some priceless faces! Plus he's beautiful to look at of course! Love it. Great for all the family as well - if you're OK with some swearing.
on 14 August 2017
I read this after watching the TV series. This is so much better, well written but from the boy Gerald's viewpoint obviously which makes a funnier and more interesting tale. Very informative and heart warming, I loved it.
on 18 July 2017
You can't go wrong with Gerald Durrell, my 8yr old daughter is just starting out on his books and is loving this one.
on 19 July 2017
A classic from my childhood schooldays. I was captivated back then and still am 45 years on.
on 4 March 2017
A very nice short vignette of the young Gerald Durrell's life and family, fairly true to his books, as I remember them.