TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 23 July 2013
I first encountered this series of books, written by Richard P Feynman, in my local book retailer and I was surprised at their size. Despite the nature of their subject, they are barely a couple hundred pages in length. Usually scientific books are much thicker volumes. But when one realises these books were written from notes derived for student presentations by Feynman, then size doesn't really matter. I am more inclined to purchase a 'thin' book than a 'thick' book because apart from being cheaper to buy and easier to carry, it should be an easier book to read. Doubtless, size is a marketing ploy but it means these books are affordable to a great many more people.

The information these books contain, often illustrated by original drawings by the author, help to convey some quite complex theories. These theories maybe right or they maybe wrong but they serve to illustrate the thoughts of a 'genius' whom many professionals believe rivalled Einstein in terms of his vision of how the universe works. Feynman was a controversial, colourful, some say eccentric theoretical physicist who cared little for convention and left an indelible mark in understanding science.

I purchased 3 books in this series and I purchased 3 more for a friend's birthday. Doubtless I will purchase other books in the same series when I have time to read them.
on 11 September 2017
Great book - made me realise how rusty my maths had become but worth persevering with.

As the book suggests, I would highly recommend searching online for a few videos of Feynman in action. An awesome and inspiring man to listen to. It made the book a real joy to read afterwards.
on 10 December 2017
Good interesting book, easy to follow, very useful for while I was studying for my 1st year engineering physics exams
on 13 September 2017
very penetrating lectures
on 10 January 2018
He is brilliant - great talent for explaining - but still not THAT easy to grasp !!!
on 12 June 2017
This is a great book for the mid-range mathematician and relativistic incompetent. You can almost hear the humour shining through, and I just wish I had been able to actually hear him lecture.
on 26 April 2017
ok
on 8 December 2017
It's a good 40 years since I did maths, but if you have an understanding of geometry, algebra and differentiation then, with a bit of effort, this book brilliantly clarifies some difficult but also very real aspects of our world. No, I probably couldn't stand up in a class and prove the effects on mass and time of speed, nor what are meant by the terms space-time and curved-space. But, I do have a much clearer idea in my own mind about these issues that I had previously not grasped. I'm sure that things will be even clearer if I read the book again (at times I had to read bits 3,4 or 5 times before something clicked. But it did click).
Feynman is justifiably famous as a preeminent teacher and I only wish I'd read this book years ago.
on 9 September 2009
I had long heard of Feynman's great ability at science communication, and reading this book, it's not hard to see why: under one cover, he weaves together fairly complex ideas concerning vectors, special and general relativity in such a simple, yet nonetheless scientifically accurate way that you find yourself saying "Aah, I see; that makes sense." His style is unlike any other communicator of science I've ever come across: he presents ideas in a simple, straight-forward, context, and it all flows very well form one chapter to the next, yet he doesn't loose any scientific accuracy in the process; moreover, he enhances your knowledge of physics, adding fresh new insights and connections which you'd never realised before. Too many scientific journalists these days get so obsessed with making topics seem as simple as possible, they loose their true essence; Feynman's insights are like a breath of fresh air.
As far as the background of the reader is concerned, I'd reccomend the reader to have a maths and physics education up to about A level/IB standard, if they really want to appreciate from Feynman's fresh new insights: though he does build everything more-or-less from scratch, basic knowledge about calculus and physics equations are assummed. Furthermore, I can imagine the more general reader getting a bit bored with this book.
Overall, a great read if you're interested gaining a fairly detailed understanding of basic relativity.
on 29 August 2001
Consisting of six chapters drawn from his legendary "Lectures on Physics", this is probably one of the best and most exhilarating introductions availiable on the theory of relativity for both laymen and students alike. By reading this book one can really appreciate Feynman's inimitable lucid and humourous writing style, while at the same time gain an accurate and comprehensive understanding of the basic fundamentals of both special and general relativity. The book also discusses the important concept of symmetry in physical laws. It has wonderful analogies that explain difficult ideas, and some mathematical equations for those who want to go one step further from just knowing the theory qualitatively (Though people who are not so sure of mathematics can also skip these without missing any descriptive content). This is a truly great book, something that everyone with an interest in modern physics should possess and enjoy.
0Comment| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse