Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 September 2001
Jane Green is one of the masters of this genre - she writes happy-ending girly stories, but they're not fluffy. While Bookends isn't as gritty as Jemima J in many ways, it's not all glam and one guy after the other for Cathy, the main character. You can spot fairly early on who she'll end up with, it's really her relationships with her friends that you can't sort out until the end. I found this very appealing - sure, it's nice to have the girl-meets-boy aspect of the story, but Green does such a wonderful job of illustrating how other relationships are important to people too. I particularly love the angle of how the each of the lives of a group of friends is totally disrupted by one person (Portia) and how that person comes back into their lives to disrupt them again - but in the process, really putting things right. While not fully explored, the subplot about Josh and Lucy is wonderful too, very reaffirming. I love the way Green writes dialog as well, she's eloquent - but it always rings true. I'd highly recommend Bookends.
on 2 May 2016
Good story.
on 9 February 2016
enjoyed it
on 20 November 2014
Excellent
on 26 September 2000
Having read all of Jane Green's previous novels, I was really looking forward to this one. However, it was very disappointing. Bookends was predictible and used one terrible cliche after another. It's not well written and some of the sub-plots seemed underdeveloped and pointless. Midway through the book, I was already bored and couldn't wait to be done with it. Throughout the book, it seemed like I had read the novel before, and two books came to mind: Marian Keyes' Last Chance Saloon and Victoria Routledge's Friends Like These. It's a shame, because Green typically writes fun, entertaining novels that are good for a bit of escapism. This book seemed rushed and unimaginative. I hope Green's next effort is back on track.
on 29 April 2001
Some people may complain about characters of Bookends being stereotyped and lacking in depth with the storyline.However,because of those reasons, Bookends is surprisingly charming. You can easily predict what will happen. Not a single character would act against your expectations. Jane Green doesn't explain much about her characters' problems, therefore you can finish this book with a warm smile on your face. She might have left those problems unsolved in order to publish a sequel of Bookends.
It's very easy to follow the storyline, yet fun to feel the excitement.You will laugh, cry and will find yourself sleepless. I highly recommend it as a companion book for a long boring journey.
on 13 August 2000
Having previously been on Prozac,unfortunately I shall be begging my doctor for another prescription. I read this being in a light-hearted mood and found myself either wanting to throw up at the "lovey darling" crowd or cursing myself for not being more perfect.The unoriginal description of the blonde Scandinavian Au Pair made me want to scream. Having been inflicted with the same colour hair myself and dare I say it,yes a weeny bit glamourous, I am also "normal". I am riduled with stretch marks and things are now pointing southwards but will this happen to the Au Pair? Oooh Noo. The rest of the clan are sickly,sugary, sacharrine saps. Nuff said.
on 13 July 2000
I was until recently a Jane Green "virgin". I am SO glad I bought this wonderful book. Once I was immersed in the plot, I simply couldn't let go! Through her excellent writing, I feel as if Cath, Josh, Lucy and Si are lifelong friends. And as for the gorgeous James........ read it and see. It has all the ingredients you would want from a good read - a story line that weaves in and out of the characters lives, humour, pathos and as for the last few chapters, my eyes are still telling the tale. It's a must for every would be/has been romantic! Treat yourself - you won't regret it! The question is - will there be a "Bookends 2"? I hope so!
on 6 July 2001
Well! I absolutely fell in love with Jane Greens "Jemima J" when i read it, so I presumed that "Bookends" couldn't be as good. I was soooooo wrong. It is just as good! I loved all of the characters to my suprise, especially Lucy and Si, they are so real and wonderful to read about. You also ride the rollercoaster ups and downs with Cath as she tries to cope with relationships and life, and her hair! It is the sort of book that you cannot bear to put down, yet you don't want to reach the end either, because you don't want it to end! I would definately recommend this to people who love a 'feel-good' story, truly worth a read.
on 24 March 2001
This was the first book by Jane Green I have read and will definately be reading more written by Green. This book isnt the ususual stereotypical 30 somethings trying to come to terms with adulthood. This is a book that makes you laugh and cry out loud.With the shocking news from Si to the unexpected twist (read it to see). Green captures a realistic friendship between uni friends that takes them into adulthood. It is a story of challenges they come across, some happy, some sad and some totaly devestating. A must read for any body who is anyone