on 24 July 2016
I recommend this book to anyone who thinks they have addictive tendencies or who turn to substances or behaviours to avoid feelings. I'd also recommend this book to family or friends of addicts to give them an idea of the thinking which drives addictive behavior. It's a great story, told with humour and warmth, it gave me many insightful moments as well as a laugh. It gives hope for the addict to build a happy future of recovery, even if it takes a while for them to catch on that they are an addict in need of recovery. I loved it, one of my all time favourite books:-)
on 25 November 2014
Not the book I was looking for to be honest, I wanted some escapist nonsense, with angst and love and a happy ending. I saw this recommended as another reviewers favourite Marian Keyes book, and promptly decided to buy it.
It was well written, and an interesting story, just not what I'd expected.
Rachel's holiday, is not quite what Rachel expects, not a spa break to get away from things but a good few weeks in rehab, with no frills, and the slow enlightenment that her party lifestyle had led her down to a life of theft, drugs and very little respect for herself and others.
It's well written, but not what's I'd expected, so that is my only gripe...I wouldnt rank it in my favourite books, but if I knew someone on that path it might be ideal, although realistically, I should rein in my book spending on a whim!. So I can't fault the book, just noth the escapist angst I was expecting.
Rachel does come to terms with her life so the contradictions of what she sees and the actuality of her life is laid bare, and she learns from this, thought provoking stuff, but not unfortunately a favourite book of mine
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 August 2015
First book I have read from this author. Love her easy style. Although she chooses a difficult subject of addiction, she manages to portray it in a very understanding way. The character, Rachel, does not show up in a good light to begin with but by the end of the book, one can understand the reasons for her addiction and admire the way she finally comes to terms with the reasons she became an addict. The experience in the centre "The Cloisters" finds her with much more understanding of what addiction had made her become. There she began to face up to her problems with family and friends and began to understand the reasons she became an addict. Thehelp she received made her end up a much happier person, back in control of her life.
on 13 February 2017
Just finished this. It's very good. I'm not a girl by the way and I don't think it's fair to call this "chic lit". Yes it's by a woman writer and the main character is a woman but you don't call Jane Eyre "chic lit" do you? Anyway it's not Jane Eyre, but it is a deceptively dark and quite an important book. Well I think it was important - it spoke to me; about the ability to change one's life and one's self. I'm not an addict but we all have our dark places and inadequacies. I found it really hard to like Rachel - and I didn't find this an easy read. But blimey there's some fantastic funny writing here too.
on 9 December 2015
Weirdly have never read Marian Keyes before despite having Irish heritage!! This story is about Rachel Walsh who is a drug addict and doesn't yet know it. After an 'accidental' overdose in New York she is flown home & sent to The Cloisters where she expects to be having spa treatments, massages & rubbing shoulders with celebs. Instead it's a grotty, underwelming, cramped hostel for addicts. It plots her 'journey' to her acceptance of her problems & while she's there her reflection on her life where you can see the addiction & the reasons behind it. Well worth a read.
on 28 June 2013
This book is supposed to be hilarious. Personally, I didn't find it funny. I found it moving, thought-provoking, self-exploring and down-to-earth. A must for anyone whose work or family situation means they have to deal with people who are addicted to drugs or alchohol, in rehab, struggling to cope with life, or in denial. I bought the book having already listened to it as an audiobook. I would recommend listening to the audiobook first, as Gerri Halligan, the narrator, does an amazing job or bringing the highs and lows of the story to life. It is available on loan from libraries. Then when you come to read it you already know all the characters and can hear their voices in your head as you read.
on 20 May 2015
I got this because I heard it being discussed in very favourable terms on the radio. And, as they said, it was well written, quite amusing, very readable. But I got so bored with the heroine that I could scarcely find the energy to finish it. No doubt it is very gripping for those who have experienced rehab for an addiction; but all addictions, whether for alcohol, drugs, sex, violence or even adventure, are ultimately boring for the outsider to read about; for they deal with a monochrome world lacking the multi-faceted experience of non=addiction.
on 5 February 2015
This was my first Marian Keyes novel, recommended by a male friend - men do read novels and does this add some kudos to a recommendation? When he showed me the opening page on his phone I laughed straight away and downloaded it on to my Kindle as soon as I got home.
Is Rachel an unreliable narrator - deliciously so, but she is telling the truth as she sees it and we share her hilarious journey to discover the truth about her life.
on 13 July 2016
Purchased this kit for my mother who has bunions. The kit arrived well packaged. Instructions are clear and within 10 mind we had the correct pads in place. My mother has tried wearing the pads for the last 3 days. The pain has eased a little however we will have to see overy a longer term to see any overall benifits. I like the returns policyMoney Back Guarantee - Covered by our one-month money back guarantee! We received this item at a reduced price. However they are not expensive when they help relieve pain.
on 16 May 2016
I love this book. It is the best of all Marian Keyes's book and as I would give them all 5 starss there isn plenty of competetion!!. I would giver this one 6 if I could. It is funny, engaging and though provoking. As with all her books, there s a dark untow, Rachels problems are complex but her story is well written and very witty. I love the Walsh Family!!