on 14 February 2016
The Mitford series of books just get better and better. I'm so glad I found Jan Karon and the wonderful characters she has created. Iv'e just finished reading 'Out to Caanon' and the postman has just popped my copy of 'A New Song' through the door, Now I can't wait to start following Father Tim and Cynthia into retirement.
If you're looking for a peaceful bedtime read then these could be the books for you.
on 8 August 2013
This book is the fourth in a series about a small American hamlet. It is a charming and quite humorous read in which the author introduces and enables you to get involved in the life of the village and its inhabitants. I have enjoyed all the books I have read in this series and have no qualms about recommending them.
on 8 July 2010
There are 8 books in this series, all beautifully written, all lovely stories. Once I picked up the book I could not put it down. Each book has 300 - 400 pages. Once you are introduced to the characters you feel they are friends and I wanted to know more.
on 6 October 2017
Just as good a the first three in the Mitford series. In fact I can't wait to buy the fifth.
on 5 June 2014
This book is part of a series about a small town in the USA. It is very well-written and allows the reader to feel a part of the story. I highly recommend the whole series to all avid readers.
on 15 March 2015
Interesting book!
on 19 October 2014
I love this series.
on 27 November 2014
A good read by Jan Karon.
on 12 March 1998
There is no letdown in this fourth Mitford book. Those who have read the others will love this one. However, if you have not read the others, I highly recommend that you get the first, "At Home in Mitford," and read them all in sequence. If anyone thinks that Karon's novels are strictly women's literature, I disagree. As a male myself, I find the masculine characters and their dialogue completely believable. The overall tone of the series is warm and uplifting, with a delightful understated humor, but the writing is not unrealistically syrupy. There is a strong religious undertone, since the main character is a priest, but the style is never preachy. The author has a finely balanced approach to every situation that the plots touch. I am hoping that there is another Mitford novel in progress.
on 30 June 1999
We wondered if Karon could keep our interest with a new setting and different characters. She did not disappoint. We still laugh out loud, cry and thoroughly enjoy the entertaining situations in whichTim and Cynthia find themselves. The spiritual and moral lessons come through loud and clear adding much to the story line. Our favorite incident, Tim going deep sea fishing!! My husband and I always read Karon to each other before retiring at night, we could feel poor Father Tims pain (while laughing til the tears rolled down our cheeks). We love the lessons learned by showing the human frailties of Tim and Cynthia, as well as the people they encounter along the way. May Tim and Cynthia live to be 100 (and Barnabus too) and Jan Karon still telling their story. Thank you Jan for a well written series the whole family can read. We have learned to love you through your books.