Customer reviews

A Dog's Life
Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 October 2000
Being a fan of Peter Mayle's A Year in Provence and Tourjours Provence, I snapped up this gem as soon as I saw the author's name. Boy, Peter Mayle's dog, whose original debut was made in Tourjours Provence, reports on human and canine social conventions with dry humour. The drawings by Edward Koren complimented the book brilliantly, I especially liked the drawings accompanying Boy's infallible guide to avoid being punished over doggy peccadiloes. This is a marvellous book that all readers and dog lovers in particular will roar over. (For the record: I don't actually like dogs, but I loved Boy!)
on 17 February 2017
Laugh ... I never thought I'd start.

I enjoy and often re-read the Provence books but this is not up to PM's standard and the illustrations are irritating. Unoriginal and bitty in both cases.

As for the joke about the drinker with the writing problem, that is the property of the late great Brendan Behan.

I remember 'Boy' from 'Toujours Provence' and looked forward to reading a book by him, but was dogged by disappointment.
on 18 March 2017
Brilliant book. Very funny! A must read for any dog lover.
on 30 August 2017
Lolz
on 5 June 2014
Entertaining as a collection of short stories about the couples life and dog in France. A good quick holiday read.
on 5 June 2009
After reading some of Peter Mayle's other books and finding them pleasant to read thought i would give this one a try. I love france and have dogs so it should be a safe bet that i would enjoy it.
Mayle writes the book through the eyes of the Dog, Boy. It is amusing,some parts made me laugh out loud, there are the usual cliches in french books, but any one who has spent time over there should identify with them. If you like dogs or france you will enjoy this latest offering from Mayle, if you like both then you shouldn't go wrong.
on 31 October 2010
I would recommend " It's a Dog's life " to all, young or old, dog lover or not. The book, set in France, is written from a dog's point of view.The style is often light and humerous yet pithy, the tone, serious at times. Lots of entertaining asides about writers, visitors, France and the French.
It is an ideal choice for a book club after a ream of "heavy" literature !
on 15 January 2013
That poor dog - but what a wonderfuly inciteful critter - I am passing it on to a dog-loving friend of mine - she never married and all her children have been dogs. However, I don't think this book matches up to Peter Mayle's 'Year in Provence' series. He's doing well getting by on his well-known name I think.
on 2 August 2014
Fantastic book - would recommend it for any dog owner because Peter Mayles' observations are absolutely spot-on!!! I love all of his books anyway but this one really ticks all the boxes for entertainment, humour, life in France and owning a dog. Absolutely brilliant!
on 4 January 2017
I love this book. I first bought it in Finnish, but then also wanted to read it in English. I've read the chicken episode about ten times, because it's so crazy! I laughed so much that I almost dropped down from my sofa. The dog, Boy, is exactly like my dachshund, who thinks he is the greatest thing on four legs since Ginger Roberts and Fred Astaire - I can only count my blessings for rescuing him from the five-star kennel where he was born. :) I have read all Peter Mayles' travelogues, too. Bought them hard-cover, which was a wise choice because my dogs took a sudden liking to reading about life in France; probably smelling the frying chicken... Well, they are as intelligent as Boy: if they were to choose between Proust and McDonalds, I'm pretty sure which way they would turn. They like eating much more than reading. They hate bathing, but rolling in mud is really something enjoyable. So, I know what Peter Mayle is talking about: he has captured