Customer reviews

on 4 April 2017
What a wonderful, moving book. I found the main character Pearl Eddy inspirational, challenging and awesome! At various points during the story the reader is challenged to question how they would act under similar circumstances and we fall very short of the decisions Pearl Eddy makes and her indomitable faith in mankind. The book moved me to tears several times and stayed with me long after I finished it.
on 6 December 2000
Very much enjoyed this book - very much in the tradition set by "Last Ride" and "St Agnes Stand". Mr Eidson can really get you involved with his characters and make you care.I can highly recommend this book and this author
on 28 December 2000
A powerful tale, simply and grippingly told, it explores aspects of morality that have the reader's sympathies on an emotional rollercoaster. This is the story of a little Quaker widow and her collisions with the lives of the residents of Liberty, a Kansas prairie town, in the late 19th Century. In his clear prose style, Thomas Eidson brings his characters to life. Fate and blind faith take a hand in proceedings which leave us wondering at the nature of cowardice and prejudice but ultimately marvelling at the indomitable human spirit.
on 19 July 2011
I've not read Eidson before, but this little story has impressed me greatly. As an author, I was very conscious from early on just what a difficult task Eidson had set for himself. I don't think I would have attempted it. He takes a sympathetic yet difficult heroine and surrounds her by almost impossible forces. She is blind, her husband is dead, she has four children, the bank is set to call in a loan and end her mortgage -- and then things get worse! Her goodness (matched by her stubbornness) is extraordinary. She seems afraid of nothing, not even when the whole town turns against her for sheltering a black man and a small Japanese family. And there is worse to come! It takes great writing skills to make a plot like that work, yet Eidson leaves himself plenty of room to explore depths in each of her main characters. The book's hatred for racism shines through, and the issues of violence and the consequences of non-violence are spelled out very clearly. The book deserves to sit in every school classroom, to be set reading for everyone from 16 upwards. I read it in a day or so. I just couldn't put it down. Naturally, I plan to order more of his novels.
on 17 December 2015
Without doubt Thomas Eidson is a class act. The standard was set with St Agnes Stand followed by The Last Ride. All God's Children is a master storyteller operating in sublime fashion. The stories are modern parables, they are surprising and uplifting. You are standing beside Thomas as he describes night falling over the prairie, you smell the rain on the air, you feel the gentle caress of the breeze on your cheek - you are there with him as his words seem to flow across the page engaging waves of imagery. If you're looking for a superlative feat of writing to enthrall and hold you to the last full stop - open the first page and start reading.
on 6 September 2013
A brilliant story, written so well, and moving your sympathies from one character to another. The widow in particular has "blind" faith in mankind whilst keeping her family together with a fist of steel. Set in a prairie town in the 19th century Thomas Eidson takes you into the lives of the characters and keeps you there. He does this in all his books though there are not many. I first read his book The Last Ride and was hooked. I now have all his books.
on 26 July 2013
it was one of those books which I was sorry came to an end. Pity he hasnt written more as now I've read all his books .This man's work is hard to follow .
on 16 March 2014
One of the best books I've ever read! Totally believable and absorbing. Will be reading his others now. Was in tears at the end.
on 4 January 2015
One of my favourite Eidson stories along with St Agnes' Stand.
on 11 November 2014
Superb read from one of my favourite authors. Swift delivery