Customer reviews

on 16 August 2017
on 19 October 2017
Excellent book.
on 23 October 2017
Really helpful book, the best one I’ve read.
on 15 January 2016
I lost my 36 year old husband 8 years ago to a sudden heart attack.This book is by far the best I have read about grief.I am somebody who responds well to hard hitting honesty.I can't stand platitudes and feel a rage well up inside of me when they are offered.I smile on the outside though.Virginia is realistic about grief and loss.She does not sugar coat the experience or try to wrap it up into neat little boxes.I can understand this book may be too brutal for some.I still pick it up from my book shelf when yet another person says "things happen for a reason"or "it was his path".Grrrrrr.Virginia doesn't attempt to provide any answers which is the book's great strength.It is not just Virginia's personal experience of grief in this book but also that of many others.I would urge anybody who has lost somebody to give it a chance .
on 19 March 2013
I didn't finish this book as I found it to be very negative and depressing. I did not find it helpful following the loss of my father.
on 4 February 2017
I lost my husband in December 2014. His death was so sudden and unexpected. Like many others I've read a number of books on grief and bereavement, some good, some not for me. But this book turned out to be the best by far. Virginia Ironside describes the rage of grief that all other books describe as anger, which is a natural part of the grief process, but for me the word anger fell woefully short of how I felt. Rage is what I felt for a very long time. This book is such an honest account of what it feels like to lose a loved one - the shock, the searching for them, the well meaning but insensitive comments of others and how they judge you, the rage, the different ways each person grieves which is so unique to the relationship ended, and finally the search for meaning and rebuilding your life. I read this book in one sitting, I just couldn't put it down. I have a feeling I will keep going back to it from time to time.
on 5 August 2015
Interesting, but personally found the book a bit maudlin, and that Virginia was wallowing in her experiences of bereavement.
on 22 September 2015
Not as expected, but the service was second to none, excellent
on 25 June 2016
Much recommended. My delivery was fast too. thankyou.
on 8 March 2015
Does what it says on the tin