on 4 February 2017
I lost my husband in December 2014. His death was so sudden and unexpected. Like many others I've read a number of books on grief and bereavement, some good, some not for me. But this book turned out to be the best by far. Virginia Ironside describes the rage of grief that all other books describe as anger, which is a natural part of the grief process, but for me the word anger fell woefully short of how I felt. Rage is what I felt for a very long time. This book is such an honest account of what it feels like to lose a loved one - the shock, the searching for them, the well meaning but insensitive comments of others and how they judge you, the rage, the different ways each person grieves which is so unique to the relationship ended, and finally the search for meaning and rebuilding your life. I read this book in one sitting, I just couldn't put it down. I have a feeling I will keep going back to it from time to time.
15 people found this helpful
on 15 January 2016
I lost my 36 year old husband 8 years ago to a sudden heart attack.This book is by far the best I have read about grief.I am somebody who responds well to hard hitting honesty.I can't stand platitudes and feel a rage well up inside of me when they are offered.I smile on the outside though.Virginia is realistic about grief and loss.She does not sugar coat the experience or try to wrap it up into neat little boxes.I can understand this book may be too brutal for some.I still pick it up from my book shelf when yet another person says "things happen for a reason"or "it was his path".Grrrrrr.Virginia doesn't attempt to provide any answers which is the book's great strength.It is not just Virginia's personal experience of grief in this book but also that of many others.I would urge anybody who has lost somebody to give it a chance .
15 people found this helpful
on 8 May 2017
I have this book on my Amazon Kindle and find quite a few useful sections that encompass many or even no faiths. I am a N.H.S. Buddhist chaplain
and have found several parts or even just the odd line that my friends the patients on the wards get some comfort from. When I found this copy s/h
I thought just what's needed and it is.
This seller is reliable and the book arrived as described and before the due delivery date! What more can one say.
4 people found this helpful
on 7 May 2017
I'm not sure what attracted me to buying this book over all the others out there after a traumatic bereavement, but I'm so glad I did. It isn't telling you what to do or how to feel, but instead how everything you are already feeling is natural and has been felt before. You're not crazy or pathetic, you're just going through the worst thing a human can go through.
5 people found this helpful
on 15 February 2018
Bought this for my partner who lost her dad suddenly just after her birthday having lost her mum 12 years earlier the impact was even more difficult and well looking for books to help was astonished at the amount of books that seemed to just be full of ridiculous quotes and phrases now i know there's no quick fix or magic phrase that will make it all go away but this book does help to make sense of what your feeling and enabled her to not feel guilty for daring to grieve so although she's still finding it hard this book has helped her to understand what feelings and emotions she has are normal dont require an apology and dont have a shelf life and for that bit of solace i can only thank the author
on 3 September 2015
The best and most informative book on the overwhelming emotions of grief. A very real insight into what a lot of us feel and I would recommend this book to anyone struggling to understand what is happening to them at this awful time. Cast adrift suddenly into a world where you feel a stranger, this can wrap you in a feeling of connection to others who have experienced these overpowering emotions and you no longer feel as though you are going insane. A 'must' to keep on my book shelf for the next time, as no one escapes the harsh reality of life that this book clearly explains. I will recommend this book to others without hesitation and would be helpful to anyone even in therapy for grief. A real goldmine of insight. Many thanks.
on 25 March 2015
An interesting read - with some lovely quotes and poems about love and loss. I read this book on behalf of someone else who was recently bereaved and it made me see things from their perspective and made me consider my own life more. How tenuous our link to life actually is. Sobering stuff but reassuring too. Not morbid just necessary! Try it - I think you will be pleasantly surprised. 😀
on 19 September 2013
There may be people who do not get on with this book - but for anyone who likes to face facts, and have it "told as it is" without the platitudes and meaningless "fluff" this is the book for real help. I lost my husband, but for my daughter it was loss of a father - which was the case for Virginia Ironside, so it was even more relevant for her.
3 people found this helpful
on 11 July 2017
Excellent book for the bereaved. Set me free
on 5 April 2018