on 3 January 2017
Buddhism explained in a very clear way, with lots of relatable similies, and all the religion (ceremonies and rules that aren't actually a part of the main teachings) cut out. Will teach you to be content with your life. May prove vital, in fact. This has been the main guide for my spiritual stance in life, and has helped me to be more peaceful and happy and know where I want to go.
15 people found this helpful
on 10 April 2013
In short....This book has transformed my mind. I have suffered with anxiety for several years which was causing me great pain. This was mainly due to my overactive mind....I was always searching for the meaing of life , I always wanted to be on one side of an arguement , christianity v Islam , creation or evolution? My anxiety was also caused by my folowing of the bible. Questioning everything I ever did "will I go to hell for that?" , constantly feeing guilty for my actions even though I had done nothing wrong. What this book has shown me is that we shouldnt worry.....Stop trying to work out "everything". All we can work out is what we can see. There may or may not be a god , afterlife , meaning to life etc. We should not worry about these things as they are beyond our comprehension. Since reading this book my anxiety has settled down , I feel a inner peace and most importantly.......I feel free and in control of my own life. Do not spend your life worshiping things that we canot see , things that are written in old manuscripts years after the events took place. Instead free your mind and live for now.
7 people found this helpful
on 5 March 2016
I'm not religious, and don't want to be. This book is excellent at premoting calmness and awareness from with in. Simply written for me, a thicko to get. . ..The message is simple. Live life calmly and be pleasant and the reward is pace of mind. . I feel like I'm in a good place.
4 people found this helpful
on 18 April 2018
There is an awful lot of thought provoking ideas contained within this book. It really strips the meaning of Buddhism back to simple basic thoughts. A lot of what I perceived as being part of the faith is really just ritual added on after the fact, it has prompted some interesting conversations between my and a number of my Thai friends.
There is a lot to think about!
on 21 November 2017
This book really had an impact on my life. It's an easy read, and complex topics are explained well. A great addition to those interested in mindfulness as well as Buddhism.
2 people found this helpful
on 20 November 2016
What a little treasure this book is. Concise, so easy to read, and you get a real understanding without being baffled by constant diversions that other Authors use when writing a book. Highly recommended with Love..
2 people found this helpful
on 11 April 2016
I read this book some years ago and it really helped me to come to terms with a few issues I had at the time (bereavement mainly). I am not religious but nevertheless I think it is an excellent book for helping to get your mind in order. I actually bought this copy for a friend and she thought it was very good too.
One person found this helpful
on 5 October 2016
Best book I've ever read. Changed my life. This is the 6th time I've bought this book as my friends are very keen to share my enlightened experience and I more than happily want to share it with them!
3 people found this helpful
on 3 February 2017
Brilliant book! very easy to read and follow.
3 people found this helpful
on 14 July 2017
Great short insight! Wonderful for someone interested to glance into Buddism ideas
One person found this helpful