The Continuum Concept (Arkana)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 November 2017
The concept is awesome and everyone should do it when bringing up their children. There are some gems in the book and good stories however her writing style is odd; as if she's trying to show off all the long words she knows. Some sentences are about ten lines long so don't make sense. read the intro and then the actual child raising section. If this was revised and backed up with stats rather than anecdotes it would be brilliant. Check out 'PJ does life' and 'Bringing up baby' on YouTube for a great overview of the continuum concept.
on 9 November 2015
This book is not for everyone. Certainly it shook my world, and questioned the little confidence I had as a mother, and a person battling my own mental and emotional monsters. I love this book, and equally strong I hate it! I am grateful to it, and I wish I never knew about it at the same time! Very deep, very provocative read, digging well into the depth of one's mental and emotional worlds. SOme paragraphs I had to go back and reread about 5 times not being able to believe my eyes! Feeling stupid for not being able to realise things myself, hating the fact how much not in touch with the inner self I am, we are, feeling lost and amazed by how damaged our "advanced" societies are....Guilt is the worst feeling for me after and during reading this book. It is indeed a life-changing book as it made me want to work more on myself....to fix myself. So my son doesn't have to fix himself.
Do think about if you really want to read this book!....
on 2 February 2018
Love the concept of the 'in-arms' experience. We live in a society and age in which we do not value the raw physical closeness between a mother and child. This closeness is beautiful, it's necessary, and it's real, and the continuum concept enlightens this to the reader. I wish I read this book before I had my first child. I'm now a mother of 3 and I'm so grateful to implement at least some of this theory on my third baby!
on 13 July 2015
The concepts are good, but its clear its written in the 70s as some of the ideas are quite old-fashioned; her theory on the causation of homosexuality particularly.

I was really looking forward to receiving this book as its held in high regard in many gentle and attachment parenting groups, but the victorian language she uses made it hard to enjoy.

Unfortunately, I wouldnt recommend this book. There are better books to spend your money on, like Janet Landsbury.
on 18 June 2012
This is probably one of the most significant books with the potential to change society. The problem is that people judge anything based on what they have learned and that could be the stumbling block because their parents, teachers and peers were frequently wrong. The book tells us that if we learn to expect someone else to always give us the answers then we will never be free. When we are not being instructed we sit and watch TV and eat and drink alcohol and take drugs waiting for someone else to take responsibility for us: Doctors, Bosses, Government etc. The book tells us that we have to learn by using our natural intuition and by making mistakes. The baby needs to be with her mother 24/7 from actual birth and well into infancy. The baby experiences all that her mother does and the mother is available to meet all his or her needs until he or she choses to meet them alone. Read it and it will tell you this so much better than my brief attempt!
on 12 September 2014
This is such a good book. Reading it allowed me to understand so many things about my own past. I also lent it to a friend when she was pregnant, and she found it extraordinarily informative when her son was born. He is now a year old, and wonderfully confident and relaxed. He may still turn into an appalling adult - nothing is ever guaranteed; at least he had a chance to see life differently.
on 18 May 2015
I'd say this has to be up there with my most essential 'baby books', certainly one I wish I had read before having a baby, though I'm not sure how much of it I would have understood or been open to accepting. I read this when my little one was already 6m old and wish I'd had the confidence to really listen to my gut instincts. This book will reinforce your natural parenting skills while helping you to understand where your baby is coming from. It will also help restore your sanity that your baby is not trying to break you, they just want a few simple things in life and if you go along with those everyone will likely be much happier. So glad I read it before baby 2 is on the way!
on 13 January 2017
I read this book thirty years ago and was impressed with the ideas put forward. It's still relevant today, possibly more so. Highly recommend this for new parents wanting some common-sense guidance in bringing up a happy child.
on 18 September 2017
Good read
on 7 June 2015
I read this and was hugely influenced by it when I had my own children, so I bought it now for a friend about to embark on that particular journey. Wonderful ideas on letting children be a functional part of society from an early age, creating practical, accomplished problem solvers with a robust sense of self.