on 27 May 2014
I decided it was time to read some of the classics. In Arnold Bennett's Old Wives' Tale you are told the stories of two sisters from birth to death. The language is beautiful and the descriptions vivid. However the reading is long and hard going. I struggled through the book but although I did enjoy parts and the story was intriguing it is not a book that I would want to reread.
on 30 October 2014
Loved this book, long but so fluently written very easy to read. Prompted me to reflect on upbringing , personality and genes as architects of our lives. Read on kindle which had advantage of telling me how long til next chapter end and not allowing me to see how many pages left! Coincidentally, subsequently heard that Alan Johnson, labour politician , read Bennett when educating himself in his teens. Can understand the appeal, a turn of the century classic, but written in a very modern style.
on 14 December 2014
Only half way through at moment so based on that:- Language took a little getting 'into' but finding it adds to the atmosphere (19c) of the book. Interesting characters, although may be considered fairly mundane events, I find they hold my attention. I wouldn't say 'I can't put this down!' but I certainly want to finish it.
on 3 February 2015
This book is one of the masterpieces of the English novel. Elegantly told and worth all the words. This edition is littered with printing errors...! Irritating. I had read Clayhanger, The Card and Anna of the Five Towns but never got to this novel, somehow.
on 13 February 2017
I can listen to Victorian literature for hours - so this kept me occupied for a while.
on 9 May 2017
A really good read.I did not realise what an excellent writer Arnold Bennett was. I thoroughly recommend this book to you.
on 15 May 2014
When I first started reading The Old Wives Tale ,which I was doing as a member of our U3a Literature Group, I was surprised that it seemed so trivial ,almost 'chick lit' with this story of silly teenagers. I know my father thought well of Arnold Bennett and was astonished.
However now that I am about half way through I find that I am reading for interest and pleasure rather than obligation s the picture of people and a community has become much more engaging. I will write more when I finish it. At present the 3 starrating reflectsmy rather equivocal feeling about the book.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 May 2014
Great novel set in 1800s England and written by an author that actually lived through the era. The main characters are likeable and I wish the two sisters would have been able to live more fulfilled lives ,which they deserved, but it's the reality of life what this novel wants to portray. And it also tells the story of the small local business and how the families put their lives into them but will loose in favour to the big soulless companies.
on 21 May 2014
This book was written in the 19th century and as such is an interesting insight into the life of that time. However by the end of the story I was left feeling that life is a futile struggle, I enjoyed it from an historical perspective.
on 2 November 2015
I first read this book in my teens sixty years ago and it is still as good a story as it was thentelling how life is for all of us with ups and downs leading to our deaths. Elizabeth