on 18 March 2014
The book is good but rather tragic at the end and highly disturbing in some parts. It is also highly irritating when nobody listens to Kassandra and how much women are repressed and objectified.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 November 2010
This is Marion Zimmer Bradley at her best. With many insights into the last days of Troy and the dynamics that led to its downfall, this is a fascinating description of many the famous characters of myth and legend - Kassandra, Paris, Helen, Achilles and Hector being just a few. A tale of the conflicts between a culture that reveres the strength of women and one that makes them mere consorts of powerful men. This is Kassandra's story and more. Brilliant!
on 3 June 2000
I read this book after the Mists of Avalon, and I though it was great! It captures our atention, and i loved the characters, specialy Cassandra. I think I can't never read another discription of Troy, without remembering this book.
on 14 February 1999
I read "The Firebrand" as part of my classical studies class in school. I was expecting it to be a boring educational book but instead it was the most entertaining book I have ever read - and it was also educational because I ended up learning a lot about the fall of Troy. After reading the book I became interested in learning more about Cassandra and Troy and at the end of the year when we had to do a project for classical studies I did mine on Troy and Cassandra. But I would recommend this book to anyone - not just people interested in Ancient Greece. Anyone would enjoy this book!
on 30 September 2011
Generally, thiis is very good. It's evocative, though provoking, a challange to conventional thinking and an intriguing read.

I always love to read stories about the heroes that are written from the women's point of view, as so few are that are not primarily romances. In the story of the seige and fall of Troy, of course (as in all sieges throughout myth and history) the suffering of women and children was awful.

However, the tone of this story is not overly bleak; Kassandra, Priestess of Apollo and former Amazon, is a strong, independent, sensual woman. She loves Aeneas, but isn't dependent on him.

I was, however, disappointed at times with the quality of the writing; I realise that the author was writing a book meant to be totally unpretentious, but sometimes she slips into the style of mass market romantic novels: - 'Andromache embraced her gently and said, "Have a care what prayers you make, Kassandra...".

While I think the potrayal of the heroes, particularly Akhilles - doesn't do them justice, it is all part of the theme of the story, which is the loss to all humanity which came from the destruction of matriarchal power and the rise of patriachal values. Despite the tantalising semi presence of the Gods throughout, Akhilles here is merely human, and very unsympathetically portrayed.

At the end of the story, as Kassandra escapes from Mycanae, she is assisted by an oddly masculine woman(as she thinks) and the absurd description of her hairy legs and muscular body had me in stitches. I couldn't tell if this comedy was intentional, but I wish there had been more of it throughout...

Generally, well worth reading.
on 7 October 1999
It is EXCELLENT!!!!!!!I had already read The Mists of Avalon, The Forests of Avalon and Lady of Avalon.Her books were so brilliant I wanted to read more.When I read this I couldent put it down. The changes of scene wre described so well that i thought i was there,it also gives a good picture of Kassandra.it has just enough romance in it to spice it up but its not a total soppy love story!it also goes against Homers by saying Kassandra lives after the fall of troy.Its a thrilling read i recomend it to anyone!!!!!!!!!!All MZB's are books are fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on 13 February 2005
A must read. If you like legends and miths/mithology you will not be able to stop reading it. It is a big book but there is nothing borring about it. I know the legend of Troy, but I like this version even more! And it's not because a woman has the central role(Cassandra). It isn't a book about women, it's about power: Men,gods and goddesses fight over it. It is breathtaking, even if you know the legend, you wish that the end could be different!
A story about the fall of Troy and much, much more! I can't believe that this is the 1st review!! Read it, you'll find several stories in one.
on 11 September 1999
I picked up that book following my immoderate love for Greek Mythology. As soon as I began, MZB eagerly described such atmosphere, electric and unprevisible fate over the city of Troy. Cassandra vibrates with the fear and apprehension of her priestess powers and although the author has decided to change the outline of the legend, the book remains a source of unbelievable and fantastic energy. If you ever dreamt of giving a moment of life to all these greek Gods so much feared and loved by mortals, this book is for you.
on 20 February 2000
I read this book after "The Mists of Avalon" and I thought it very good. The history is different, and it takes the very good parts of the legend, what is not easy... For that age, Kassandra was a very experienced woman and lived so harsh a life that she was the one who could see further than a war. It is good and I recommend gladly.
on 27 June 1998
This was the first MZB book I ever read, and it is still one of my favorites. With better characterization than most of her works, I found myself empathizing with Kassandra and others. It also wasn't as slow as The Mists of Avalon, and since I've read Virgil's Aeneid, which includes the Fall of Troy, it was interesting to see how close she came to the original text.