on 7 September 2013
This is not a comfortable read but a thought proviking essential one for anyone with an y interest in this subject.
on 11 July 2016
Fabulous book, having visited the Somme I was intrigued to find out more and this book definitely delivers. It's not complicated and explains the battle well, including before and after. It offers little options, but explains the decisions of the day, crucially from the viewpoint of the soldiers. A fitting tribute to all who took part and suffered!!
on 16 September 2009
I read this book with interest and felt it gave an excellent account of the build up and the Battle itself. Not from the purely overall but some very personal recollections that have helped me to maybe understand a little of what my Grandfather maybe went through.
It is on my reference bookshelf and will, i have no doubt, be one i keep rereading.
on 6 August 2015
This is a superb book on a topic that will be on everyone's lips next year. Other books will appear but I doubt whether will come up to the scholarly presentation of this book. Also the others which follow will pay homage to it but few will equal it. I got mine for a ridiculously cheap price of 1p paying far more on the standard postage.
on 26 February 2013
This is an excellent book covering the build up, several men involved and then the outcome of probably the most tragic day in British history. Many people have been moved to visit the Somme because of this book, myself included. Next month i will make my 18th visit to the Somme and i can't think of anyway else i'd rather be.
on 17 July 2015
Brilliant - I'm going to read it again as there is so much information in here. I appreciated the way that the lead up to the event is explored and the later pages of diagnoses. Very thought provoking. The only problem with the Kindle is that maps & diagrams are not clear, so I'm looking for a paper copy next time.
on 7 November 2011
Trying to discover the identity of the man on the front cover we have purchased the book but nothing is conclusive. We think he may be one of the Bradford Pals but the photos was taken just out of his area, although only about a mile away. WE'll keep researching. Good book.
on 26 March 2011
I'm off to La Boisselle nr the Somme this summer and this is a valuable addition to the research I've been doing. I have to say this is a wonderful book, very readable and informative. Should be at the top of anyone's WW1 reading list. Highly recommended.
on 27 September 2016
Having owned, and lost a copy, u nfnpurchased a new one.It remains a usefull, informative guide to the day.It is well written with good maps.Although it has, in some ways dated, it is still a good account of that day and the build up
on 10 July 2015
Uncompromising harrowing account of England's worst military disaster. Have visited the battlefield and the cemeteries, which I believe every MP should also do before blithely sending our squaddies anywhere.