on 27 April 2017
Simply superb. A dark, utterly convincing story of lost innocence, friendship, and the terrible experience of guilt. I envy anyone who has not read this. Unlike so many novels praised for the quality of the writing, the writing here is so good you don't notice it, you don't see the joins, it carries you with it like a fast-flowing river. Scenes and characters from The Secret History stay with you forever. It is not a perfect novel: one character is peculiarly under-developed (Camilla), and the narrator's family background is rather glibly dismissed, but as a whole, I would say this is one of very few novels from the last 40 years that will still be read in 50 or 100 years' time.
on 23 March 2017
I had long awaited to read this book having listened to Donna discuss it on a radio programme but alas I was very disappointed.
The book was entwined within so much information I began to wonder if it would go anywhere at all. I perceive the author to be a very gifted lady but unfortunately I must not be adequately scholastic to enjoy the breadth of narrative. Apologies to Donna Tartt.
on 27 May 2017
I loved The Goldfinch so was expecting great things from this. However, I never really liked any of the characters or felt they were relatable. The prose tended to go on a bit and I fund myself skipping paragraphs. I did finish it (it's long!) but only as I really wanted ot find out if it got any more interesting. I'm afraid it didn't. I will tackle her other novels but I would recommend giving this a miss and getting the Goldfinch instead which is one of my fave all time books.
on 18 May 2017
Wonderful story, I was sad to finish it
on 25 March 2017
She is a master writer who manages to surprise and inform with every sentence. Never dull or mediocre. A gifted author.
on 22 June 2017
Good reading
on 7 June 2017
This is my favourite book.
Brilliant at first, but then dies off.
on 18 May 2017
A real page turner.
on 31 March 2017
I loved this book from start to finish. Donna Tartt's writing is captivating and beautiful. I thoroughly recommend this read