on 10 July 2017
I tend to read books before I watch a film or a TV series based on a book, but I enjoyed the TV series a lot and was interested to see and compare as invariably I have found books so much better than the films or TV series, George Gently excepted.

I was pretty surprised how close the TV series was to the book and how well the casting director must have done to fill the roles

So an enjoyable book and an enjoyable film if you like an easy reading/watching bit of nostalgia about country life and a family of real characters (in a fictional sense) in southern england in the 50's. It's not really any genre, not action, not adventure, not really romance to any degree, ot a who dunnit, just an enjoyable tale
on 21 April 2017
Nice to have all the books in one volume. One of the few books that is not spoiled by the TV production, in a way they complement eachother. Mind you, the books are still much better, less sentimental and much racier.
on 3 May 2011
In answer to an earlier reviewer, this book was lent to me by a friend who says that HE Bates, an uncle, based his Larkin stories on her family. It truly was this idyllic and chaotic she says!
I missed the tv series, and am glad I did, as I can't imagine it being able to capture the luscious prose of the books and the gloriously uninhibited exploits of this wonderful family! I cannot say how very much I have enjoyed these stories. They are truly magical, conjuring up a more earthy, yet more innocent time; a time of pastoral, robust, devil-may-care lustiness. Read and enjoy!
2 people found this helpful
on 9 November 2017
I loved watching darling buds of may and enjoyed this book enormously. beautifully written story and great that it contains so many of the buds books in one
on 22 November 2015
I like it but think that it has been edited heavily. I remember far more in the original books but cannot seem to find them anywhere. This is more of a story about the TV series which was obviously somewhat different to the book. Having said that I enjoyed it but was waiting for the bits that didn't appear.
on 12 May 2017
From start to finish, a really good relaxing read. Well worth it.
One person found this helpful
on 8 November 2011
A superb book bringing together all of the Larkin novels, each one a pure joy to read from start to finish. This particluar volume is becoming quite hard to find, though a few do crop up on online auction sites now and again.

If you loved the ITV series, then you'll adore the stories - they're even better!
on 23 February 2018
Reasonable quality, and great value.
on 10 October 2017
Lovely book
on 11 January 2013
If you have seen the series then you will love the book it is the same with a little more detail. The book was described as Good well it just about made the 'Good' in condition . I would recommend the book to anyone who loves the series