on 30 October 2012
My husband and I found this book most interesting and helpful for our trip to Ypres and the Battlefields tour. It helped us to visualise the horrific conditions under which our uncles and my father served and how the troops dealt with situation. It also helped us to place events geographically
on 29 October 2014
I have always been interested in 1st World history and recently visited Ypres and Passchendaele, seeing many of the places that are referred to in this excellent book. The detail is incredible but never overwhelming and I learnt so much more than I thought I would. The stories of the soldiers are harrowing and bring the horrors of this first terrible world war to life.
I shall be looking to see what other of Lyn MacDonalds books I can now read
on 6 October 2009
I bought this after having visited the Ypres Salient for the first time earlier this year. Although that's probably the wrong way round, it worked really well for me. Lyn MacDonald's book is packed with relevant detail and first-hand accounts that really help to build a wider understanding of this phase of the Ypres campaign. Whilst I don't think we can fully comprehend what it must have been like to fight at Passchendaele, for me this book helped to build a picture around the enormity of the twin challenge facing the troops on both sides: the enemy and the conditions. An excellent and vivid account and well worth the read.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 16 December 2009
Superb book, with first hand accounts very well put together by Lyn MacDonald, who deserves a great deal of credit for the way she has interviewed all of the veterans and knitted everything together so well. The book is very well written and certainly kept me interested from the first page to the last. If you've any interest in this subject, a must have book really. This is particularly true since this is the sort of book that you could no longer write since there are no longer any veterans from the First World War remaining.
on 20 December 2009
I was fortunate to find this shop selling the book i wanted in Hard Back and at a really low price...and in as new condtion..and supplied on time. Great result and superb book
on 13 August 2013
This book give an excellent view on Passchendaele. It tells the story without holding back, the tragic loss of life and dreadful conditions the soldiers had to endure
on 13 May 2012
An amzing, accurate account of the fight for Paschendale in all its horror with personal recollections. Not a book for the faint hearted as nothing is left out.
on 3 July 2013
Very good read and excellent for researching family who had to fight in the Great War.

With this book I found exactly where my uncle was killed
on 12 December 2001
A book that does not hide away from describing all the human emotions that this dreadful yet glorious battle sustained. The sacrifice that these noble men made under 100 years ago beggars belief in our age of fickleness.
on 11 July 2013
A good quality book.
A moving account of the First world War.
I would recommend this book to my friends.
Very pleased.