on 21 August 2015
At university, I had a compulsory module on Historical theory and I didn't do very well in that course (In fact, I failed it miserably). I put this down to the fact I just didn't understand it.
Now, after preparing for my PGCE year, I am reading this book and it is giving me a whole different idea into historical theory - I now fully understand certain aspects of historical theory and although it may have words you have to look up (quite archaic use of some words), it is so easy to read and to understand.

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to further enhance their knowledge of historical theory.
I also found the first chapter very interesting.
on 12 November 2014
E. H. Carr wrote a really eye-opening guide to finding your way around the philosophy of history. I think many of his arguments are flawed, but it doesn't matter - I've read few books that are so good at provoking my own streams of thought, which is surely the point of such a work. Easy to read and worthwhile.
on 16 March 2018
Very interesting book. Very clear and deep explanations.
on 9 March 2017
Well worth the effort
on 8 February 2016
Very informative book. E.H. Carr provides a great introduction to history and delves deeper into how history is perceived. An absolute must for any history undergraduate.
on 27 May 2016
very useful book
on 20 January 2013
In the past, ive read Arthur Marwicks Nature of History and a few books of John Tosh (all that seem to be a little critical of Carr). However reading this book, a basic introduction to history, I feel its a brilliant book and it does give a different viewpoint of history and its development. Worth a read if your studying historiography
on 15 November 2014
Not the easiest book to read, however, provides a critical analysis of views of other historians from the perspective of EH Carr. A must read for any budding historian.
2 people found this helpful
on 23 April 2017
A brand new copy in a excellent condition!
on 5 February 2013
As relevant as ever, should be required reading for all thinking people, AND politicians! Impeccably written and argued, a classic.