Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 March 2017
This is a book everyone ought to read, esp if you have children, amazing true account and observations on emotions, feelings and its added an entire new dimension to my life having read this masterpiece.
on 17 September 2001
i recommend this book to anyone and everyone, especially of you have an interest in developmental psychology. i am 15 years old and am taking a developmental psychology course in school. this book is a great learning experience as well as a captivating, heart-warming story
on 15 November 1999
The book is a very moving story of how a young boy must learn to accept himself, his past and his family. It gives the reader a clear idea of what play-therapy can do to help a socially and emotionally withdrawn child. At the same time the book is extremely touching and accessible even to a reader who is not psychologically oriented. I would suggest it to anyone interested in psychology
on 7 July 2012
A book by an exceptional therapist about an exceptional boy. I could identify with both as I suffered the deep loneliness and isolation that Dibs suffered, caused by having the same type of parents - severely critical and domineering, expecting nothing but perfection, even in my infant years. Interestingly, like Dibs, I sought solace in reading and poetry and, like him, I talked to things as though they had personalities (I still do!). Unfortunately I was not so lucky in receiving help from a compassionate therapist such as Virginia Axline (aka Miss A). The professionals of my day preferred to ignore my pleas for help and left me to find my own way in coming to terms with my past. Now in my fifties, I find help and understanding (not only for myself but for my parents too) in this simple and easy-to-read book.
A timeless book - sadly - for there are still many children who, like Dibs, require the help of others such as his teachers, and the wise and compassionate therapist, 'Miss A'. Thank You
on 19 November 2004
I feel I had to respond to a previous review written by Rouse, this book is written mainly for anyone currently learning Person Centred Therapy, especially play therapy. The core conditions used in PCT or Rogers' theory are beautifully displayed here. The therapists acceptance, empathy and realness are the key to unlocking him. Being in my 3rd level and studying at diploma level at present I felt this book should be on the core reading list. It has truly taught me more about PCT and its effects than any other text book.
A delight to read, sad and inspiring, its a cliche but you will not put it down. This is an amazing child who did not have the horrific background as the likes of David Pelzer or Genie but neverless without love, affection and acceptance from his parents managed to shut the whole world out.
It has left me hungry to know of Dibs past the age of 15, so far I cannot find a follow up.
on 10 January 2005
Excellent book which I could hardly put down and have shared it with many friends. Recommended for anyone working with pre-school or infant children, as all children are individuals and some come to nursery/school with social and behavioural problems which they eventually come through with lots of good play experiences and careful handling. Very interesting to see how this very disturbed little boy begins to understand life around him and how he gradually learns how to express himself.
on 7 October 2000
I studied a section of child psychology at college and this was one of my set books. I found it very interesting, sensitive and, at times, sad. It's definitely a book you want to read again and again.
This is a wonderful story about how the simple act of creative play can allow a person to be redeemed. I found it technically very interesting and at the same time profoundly moving, to the point where I was in tears. It is simply written, which adds to the power of the message and it is full of hope.
on 5 October 2014
A true delight. This is an important book that helped me to reflect on childhood and parenthood while feeling totally engaged in the story of the book. It is a fantastic read, and would make a really lovely gift for someone. I enjoyed every moment of this book and felt my heart-warmed by the tale of this young and incredibly interesting child and his very gifted and astute therapist!! What great work they did together! I can't recommend this book enough if you are interested in humanity, compassion, patience, life, play, love, collaboration, psychology, growing up, intelligence, emotional worlds.
on 12 May 2007
This book is an excellent example of a case study, of child psychotherapy, that is both interesting and informative about the dynamics of the therapeutic relationship. It illustrates that, with compassion and understanding of the limits of the therapeutic environment, lives can be healed through pyschotherapy. I have re-read this book several times throughout my training and, later, as a practicing counsellor and it always brings me back to fundamental principals of practice with both adults and children.