Customer reviews

on 12 September 2017
Excellent book for people who want to know about the real research into baby behaviour. It isn't an advice book, thank goodness! This is for people like me who want to know the evidence and detail about how babies and their senses/awareness/abilities develop over the first two years. Fascinating!
on 12 March 2016
Great read
on 17 August 2006
This book enriched my experience of my first child's early months by making me more aware of all the changes she was going through, and how incredible even tiny new developments are -- such as learning to move her arms and legs intentionally. The book was first published in the 1970s and this is a revised edition from the early 1980s, but in many ways it feels more modern and sensible than many of the books on babies which are most popular today. It addresses the issues of babies' individual personalities and how this can affect how they develop -- a subject which more practical, but less well-informed baby manuals don't even acknowledge.
on 11 January 2012
I bought this book in 1978 just before my daughter was born. It became my bible because the information/advice was so sensible even though much of it seemed revolutionary compared with what was advised by my HV and other books of the time. It allowed me to follow my heart and be the best possible mum to my new baby. Through understanding normal development and behaviour, 'naughtiness' was never an issue. Thanks to this book, we had the most delightful and happy time lasting until she went to school and beyond. As my own copy is full of precious margin notes on her development, I am now buying my pregnant daughter her own copy.
on 3 November 2012
Book arrived in good time and good condition. Very reasonable price. I found the first edition very helpful when I had my first baby in the 1970s and hope this will help my daughter. As the intro says this is not about what you do when you have a baby but WHY you do it.
on 28 April 2014
This book taught me things like to give my children a spoon as soon as they could sit in a high chair at 6 months or so - you have a spoon and they have a spoon and they are feeding themselves without help from the age of about 8 months - with no food throwing as it is fun for them to feed themselves at this age when it is still a bit of a challenge for them. The older books may not be as attractively presented as more recent ones, but the content can be far better - knowledge may have advanced in certain areas but most of it is still accurate. I bought this copy for a friend.
on 14 February 2014
This book was given to me when I had my first child in 1976. I felt it was the one thing that helped me to retain my sanity. My own daughter is expecting her first baby this year and I toyed with giving her my copy then decided there were some things I just couldn't part with. I was delighted to find this second hand book on Amazon and extremely pleased with the condition of it when it arrived. I just hope my girl finds it as useful as I did!
on 8 January 2015
Old now, this book is still a fantastic introduction to your baby's development. I was recommended it and have dipped into it constantly since I got it - my babies are now 10 months old and I think I'll be doing more of the same for at least another year.
on 27 November 2010
I first bought this book in 1975, and have bought lots of copies to give to friends and family over the years. Unlike all other books of the time which tell you what to do (each book with different advice), it simply tells you what to expect as the baby develops normally, which is incredibly useful. If I remember rightly, for example, at 11 months typically, a baby will learn to throw things on the floor, and will do it all the time. Just normal development, not naughtiness or any problem. I don't know if there are other similar books now, but the facts haven't changed.
on 21 December 2014
Had thus for years then leant it to a friend who did not return it. This book is a fountain of knowledge