on 3 September 2014
An old classic that I bought for my son who enjoyed it as much as I did.
on 7 February 2016
This just works...sure it has a go at the soviets but it has a pop at the British and Germans too and reminds us how tough the long-suffering Soviet people (North Korean people) have had it from so many years.

The language is lovely and straight-forward: A great read for people like me
on 21 December 2010
"Animal Farm" is a wonderful book,that anybody of any age can enjoy.As a child,I thought it a beautiful,if sad,fairy tale.As a teenager,I began to understand it as a parody of Stalinism and the Russian Revolution.Now,I see it as a condemnation of dictatorship of either left or right.
Orwell was rejected by many publishers when he first tried to hawk "Animal Farm" in 1944-45.It turned out that Peter Smollett,a Stalin-worshipper all too common on the British left of this era,managed to have it turned down by some of these publishers.Orwell probably smiled sadly from wherever he is now when he learned of this-he barely escaped with his life from Spanish stalinists in the 1930s,having a book delayed was tame indeed compared to that.
But why take my word for it as a condemnation of dictatorship?The British writer Timothy Garton Ash relates that,wherever he went in Eastern Europe prior to 1989,Czechs,Poles,East Germans or Hungarians would pull out tattered samizdat copies of "Animal Farm" or "1984",and wonder aloud "How did Orwell know so much about our lives?" when Orwell never lived in or visited either Eastern Europe or the USSR.
Worth reading whatever your age or political leanings.
on 13 January 2014
Normally, being required to read a book at school means it will never be read again. Not this one. I think I've now read it about 5 times and, each time, I find some new aspect. The allegorical approach really works and exposes the fatal flaws in any extreme (right or left) political movement.
VINE VOICEon 14 October 2003
"Animal Farm" is so short, so easy to read, and is so famous and influential, that the question is: Why would you NOT read it? If you are new to Orwell, then this is the perfect place to start. It displays, in miniature, his characteristic skepticism, good sense, and keen insight into the corrupting effects of power. It also hints at that underlying sense of guilt that pervades his longer works.
The book was criticized at the time of publication for being a flawed fable, in that the pigs, being innately more intelligent than the other animals, were naturally fitted to be the masters. I think that misses the point. This is an allegory of human society, not a manual of animal husbandry. Every character and incident in the story has a clear parallel in modern history. Now that the Soviet empire is no longer with us, I suppose the allegory may not seem so relevant, but there still exist totalitarian regimes that came about as a result of a popular revolution being commandeered by extremists and, no doubt, there will be others in the future. Some lessons of history should never be forgotten and Animal Farm is a great place for each new generation to learn them.
on 12 September 2013
I loved this book because it was really amusing and my favourite character was boxer. He was my favourite character because he was strong and HE always did his best for the other animals. I found it quite amusing that he could only remember A to D in the alphabet but I was sad when he died.
on 25 March 2013
Animal Farm is an allegory of a specific government at a specific time. The fact that it is still so relevant now shows how little has been learnt, how much should be changed, and how visionary Orwell was. This book paints a justifiably uncomfortable picture of the society we live in.
on 3 March 2016
What is there to say that hasnt been said a thousand times before? Its a great book, thought provoking, a must read for all kids, and for all adults too even if they read it as a child. Definitely a classic that every home should have, and every school should include in its syllabus. My kids have just read it at the ages of 9 and 13, and I would hope they would pick it up again in their later years, as they are too young to fully benefit from it at the moment. The underlying message of the book - that society comprises of the elite who make the laws and are above the laws, and the common folk who are subject to the full force of the law (often unjustly and at the whim of the elite) - is a truth that has never changed and is still applicable today. Anyone today who thinks they live in a fair and democratic society in the civilised Western world has been duped and is living in a fool's paradise. "They" have really done a number on you, and you dont even know it. For such people, perhaps ignorance is bliss, because knowledge requires leaving your comfort zone, and most people are not brave enough to do that.
on 2 June 2015
It was good to re-read this novel that I haven't done so since my student days. The additional background information is very useful and I would suggest that every student should read it especially if they are interested in how we and other behave. Excellent service from the supplier.
on 17 July 2013
I found that this book, although short contained huge warnings and messages which would be totally missed if read as the farm story it appears on the surface, it is much more darker than that and has left me with thoughts and emotions that will no doubt stay with me for a long time.