on 4 May 2017
A challenging, stimulating and fascinating book. Feynman's understanding of the scientific endevour in general and his grasp of detail are impressive. He also avoids the high flown speculations you often get with modern physics and which are really nothing whatever to do with science. I've read and reread this book and I'm still fascinated by his approach, in particular his metaphor of light as a stream of photons being like rain drops - light drops, if you will. I turn this over in my mind often. The book repays with interest the reflection you need to provide to absorb it. The material world behind the facile explanations of media pseudoscience is deeply mysterious and he manages to convey that sense of mystery while at the same time making the phenomena of light, to a degree, intelligible. A highly thought provoking book which I can highly recommend.
on 2 January 2016
One of my first introductions to Richard Feynman's writings was a quote from him which basically said that there was no physicist alive who fully understood quantum physics! The tone of this piece is very much replicated in this series of lectures on quantum electrodynamics. I came across the reference to it in Brian Cox's introduction to quantum physics. Feynman's writing is definitely more accessible for the lay reader than Cox's, although I think it worked out well that I read Cox first, as Feynman's lectures help make more sense of Cox's book. The book is shorter than I expected. Feynman's style of delivery, and the way in which he helpfully connects each lecture to the previous one, help to make this book quite an enjoyable read.
on 13 August 2013
I've read quite a few physics book, in particular a few introducing quantum mechanics. Whilst the subject never fails to enthrall me, I've found that authors' explanations can sometimes be long winded and dreary (e.g. Brian Cox - The Quantum Universe), however this book manages to maintain interest for the whole length. Whether it be the relatively short size or Feynman's witty and conscientiously explanatory writing style, this book manages to do two things: educate the reader quite a lot about particle physics and quantum theory, and also be highly entertaining, even amusing at times - this is something I have never observed in a physics book before.

This collection of lectures defies its age, and if you are an amateur who wants to learn and also to be mildly entertained, them you need look no further.
on 15 May 2017
Simply the best book you will read on this subject. Prof.Feynman had a knack of explaining difficult subject with great aplomb, in great detail but without expecting you to have a full understanding of his subject. It won`t give you all the answers you may be looking for, but then , we don`t have all the answers for Quantum Electro-Dynamics. This is as good as it gets. The world of the very small is almost unbelievable - but it works just fine without our knowing why it works!
on 24 July 2016
I have no background in physics, just a general technical education, so decided to fill-up some gaps in the overall understanding of the world around. Book is excellent, funny and easy to understand. Really like it. I also would recommend to watch the same lectures available on YouTube (4 parts).
on 17 September 2013
When I bought this book I already had a degree in Physics and was already a Feynman fan. Once again, he does not disappoint! This short book, split into four lectures, is a highly accessible introduction to QED. Rather than on presenting any Maths, the book focuses on trying to tell the reader what is actually going on in QED. I especially liked the lecture on photons and their behaviour, which revealed deep insights without getting bogged down in any advanced maths. The last lecture also has a nice little introduction to Feynman diagrams. Highly Recommenced.
on 20 August 2015
The amplitude for my understanding of Physics, QED, and it's explanation of our complex universe has been increased by narrowing down the angles through Feynmans' lens. Having begun to paddle in the combining of arrows, the turning of times' 'clocks', I soon feared drowning in shrinkages, gasping in refraction multiplication, but when I gulped it was refreshingly simple Oxygen.

I am now drawn by the chemistry that QED and I have sparked, asking how many protons, neutrons, and electrons does it take to tango with a quark? Mr. Feynman, I have received one of the many Photons you've emitted, and the insertion of thoughts at the speed of light, charges my electrons to emit delight.
on 3 January 2015
This is the first book I have read from the great Richard Feynman. My lack of knowledge of him and the subject meant that the "humour" referred to by those more learned passed me by somewhat. I am not a total novice to Quantum Mechanics and definitely benefited from the way RF writes about the subject matter. I have promised myself to re-read it in a few months, in the hope that a second visit will help me get more out of it.
on 28 May 2014
By far the best explanation of quantum phenomena I've come across. It's literally changed the way I look at the world. Now I can't look at a mirror, soap bubble, CD or piece of glass without imagining the crazy dance of probability amplitudes going on hidden in plain sight.

I previously read Six Easy Pieces but found it a bit too simple. This book, on the other hand, was pitched just right for me. I only studied physics up to A-level but I've kept my knowledge up with a few popular science books and sprinkling of Wikipedia.

Highly recommended and only shows its age a little in the last chapter.
on 14 March 2013
I am already proud to have a vast number of Mr Feynman's works on my shelves including the original paperback version of this title but decided to update my collection with the Princeton version. I am not disappointed, far from it. There is a different introduction and the physical size of the book is slightly larger and easier to handle. In short : Completely satisfied.