on 20 February 2015
A***
on 25 July 2011
A real treat to return to this gorgeous trilogy first read as a teenaged girl. Lyrical, sumptous, and well... Irish! Makes you smile and be glad to be 48! (Benjamin is my son by the way! Can't find the button to edit the name!)
on 29 April 2013
I read that this book was burnt as 'filth' when it was first published in the 1960s. By today's standards of course, it is quite tame. Even 50 years later it is still a good read. The epilogue, which was written some 20 years after the original book, is very powerful,and rounds off and completes the series very well. I am glad I read this version.
on 9 September 2008
Just a warning. Yes, it's a brilliant trilogy, as funny and touching as you'd hope it might be (especially the justly famous Country Girls, with its fantastic last four chapters, in Dublin). But some of these larger Penguins are simply dreadful: so badly glued and put together (and printed on something like coarse loo-paper). My copy dried out after a couple of months (in an ordinary house), the spine cracking and the pages coming apart. Best, perhaps, to buy single-text copies of the three novels, if you can afford it.
on 8 September 2014
The Country Girls: This is a coming of age story about a girl from a poor and troubled background. She is intelligent and likeable, but at the same time ignorant and naive. I found it depressing.
on 1 February 2015
I have only read the first book and do not intend to read any more . It wa a book club choice and others rated it more highly than I did. I found it a labour toread,
on 21 November 2015
My favourite book! All quickly and nice. Thank you.
on 20 June 2015
Quite good but not "hold" me.
on 29 May 2015