• Scoop

Customer reviews

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 26 April 2017
A product of its time - amusingly satirical. Humorous and typical of a time not dominated by political correctness. A good send up of a profession that has changed beyond words.
on 19 July 2017
I'm very pleased with my purchase.
on 14 July 2017
great
on 29 May 2003
Scoop is a novel about the crazy world of journalism. The basic of the story is that of mistaken identity; a newspaper magnate orders for the promising John Boot to be sent to report the civil war from Africa. Unfortunately a young farmer is picked up (with the same name) who has no experience of writing or travel. He agrees anyway and so has to learn the ways of journalism.
Although dated, I enjoyed this humorous and intriguing story, but that’s as far as it went: not particularly memorable and without a theme. I recommend this black comedy to anyone over fifteen.
on 28 March 2009
Hilarious satire of the papparazzi. Completely non-PC (written before the second world war) which also makes it a fascinating historical and social document about England and Empire. Highly recommended. At last you will find out the truth about how to use a cleft stick!
on 4 February 2014
I first read this book forty years ago and it is still as fresh and funny as ever. Even though foreign correspondents no longer have to send telegrams back to London in incomprehensible code we can still appreciate the attempts of the naïve Boot to get his reports in to the newsdesk. And some of the phrases (like 'up to a point, Lord Copper') have passed into the English language. Waugh is brilliant at bringing his characters alive in a few phrases.
on 8 January 2017
This is the second time that I have read this novel. The first was about 50 years ago, when I found an incomplete volume with no cover, so I always hoped to read a full copy. At first I felt a little disappointed with trying to hey my head around too many characters. However, as I progressed through the story I started to enjoy it. So I will let you know later on how I liked the ending after I have reached it.
on 2 April 2015
The tale was great fun but I found the print rather small&a struggle to read.
on 26 April 2013
Excellent condition and arrived on time. I couldn't have found a cheaper copy of this book anywhere else. If you belong to a book group and need a copy of the suggested title, this is a good place to look first.
on 30 December 2015
Pleasant enougn but it's very very dated.